On June 4, 2020, Penn State Club Cross Country came together to evaluate how our actions as a club contribute to the systemic racism that BIPOC in America face every day. Countless members helped to write and revise an Official Statement that reflects on our shortcomings as a club and our intent to move forward and continue to better ourselves as a student organization.
The following list includes some of the specific ways that we plan to take action as we learn from the thousands of voices speaking up across the country every day:
- Participate in open and honest discussions about race related issues as a club
- Revise our club Constitution to specifically address issues of diversity and inclusion
- Make our club Constitution more accessible by publishing it on our club website
- Host fall and spring seminars related to racism and discrimination
- Sign petitions to demand justice for acts of racial injustice, especially in our community at Penn State
We pledge that these actions will be just the beginning of our commitment to inclusion and diversity at Penn State. We pledge that we will use this learning opportunity to reevaluate how our club serves other marginalized groups and continue to make appropriate changes.
If you have any suggestions on how we can continue to take action in the face of social injustice and discrimination (whether it be racial or otherwise), please do not hesitate to reach out to a member of the Officer Board.