I am so disappointed in all of the Penn State community. In the past 5 months that I have been here, and been actively searching the campus for dogs, I have never seen my favorite dog breed. So this post will be slightly different than the usual format. There is no dog for you guys to “meet.” Instead, consider this a PSA that someone needs to get a Pug and bring it to Penn State ASAP!!!

Meet the Pug!

Picture Credit

History

Pugs date way back to ancient China as early as 551 BC when Confucius wrote about them. These dogs were frequently pets of the Chinese emperors, and they were often given their own palaces complete with servants and guards (which FYI is the way that every dog deserves to live). Pugs were so special in fact that ordinary citizens were not allowed to own a pug unless it was a gift from the emperor.

Picture Credit

(This will be my house at some point in the near future.) 

As many European traders explored the Chinese ports, they became enthralled with the Pug as well. Many sailors brought their loved ones back in Europe Pugs as souvenirs. The Pug’s popularity quickly spread throughout all of Europe during the 1600s, but Pugs did not make the voyage over to America until shortly after the Civil War. Fortunately, the Pugs have been blessing America with their beauty ever since then. Hopefully, the Pugs will be able to journey over to Penn State soon!

Care

Height 10-13 inches
Weight 14-18 pounds
Life Expectancy 13-15 years

Now I will explain to you why Pugs are the ideal breed. If their adorable scrunched up faces are not enough to convince you that you need to go adopt one right now, then maybe this will. Do you live in a city or in the middle of the country? No worries! Pugs don’t care! Do you have little children running all over the house or would your dog be alone for hours at a time? Still, Pugs don’t care! Do you have others dogs or maybe even cats? Your Pug still wouldn’t care! Pugs are adaptable and able to thrive in all these situations!

Picture Credit

Pugs also require minimal grooming. They only need a bath if they happen to get into some messy trouble, they only need to be brushed about once a week, and they don’t shed that much! See, Pugs are perfect! Pugs only need a moderate amount of exercise each day. A short walk should be sufficient exercise, especially during hotter months when Pugs are susceptible to the heat. Pugs LOVE to eat, so you do need to watch their weight to make sure they are not becoming obese. But overall, Pugs are easy to take care of, they love to snuggle, and they’re so adorable! There’s no excuse for not getting a Pug!

Famous Pugs

In this section, I could write about the Pugs that were owned by Chinese Emperors, Queen Victoria, or even Billy Joel. But instead, I’m going to enlighten you about the Pug who should be the most famous Pug of them all. Meet Mr. Toad. This Pug is the reason why I love Pugs. Several years ago, I was reading the wonderful Snapchat story, the “Dodo” when I stumbled across this dog available for adoption.

The description for him said, “This senior citizen is deaf, missing an eye, and brimming with sass. Likes to be the center of attention at all times. If he feels at all excluded, he’ll let out his signature old man pug scream.” So tell me, after reading that description, and looking into that adorable eye, are you really going to pretend to not be obsessed with Pugs?

For more information please visit:

AKC