Meet Tofu Chan!

Tofu Chan is a super famous dog known for his Instagram and YouTube accounts, which I HIGHLY recommend. Tofu is also a Shiba Inu, so keep reading below for more information on Tofu and Shiba Inus!

History

Like some of our other incredible dog breeds (cough  Pugs cough), the Shiba Inu is very old! In fact, experts believe Shiba Inus have been around since 300 BC. However, unlike the Pugs who are from China, Shiba Inus come from from the cold, mountainous, land locked part of Japan! “Shiba” actually is the Japanese word for brushwood, which could refer to the brush in the mountains where they are from or their fur color, and “Inu” means dog! Similar to most other breeds, Shiba Inus were originally bred to be hunt. During World War II, the Shiba Inus were almost extinct, but fortunately for all of us today, they were able to survive. Not only did they just survive, but they thrived! Today they are Japan’s most common breed, and they are increasing in popularity in America too as they are now ranked 44 out of nearly 200! Go Shibas!

Picture Credit

Care

Height 13-16 inches
Weight 17-23 pounds
Life Expectancy 13-16 years

I can’t sugar coat this one… Shiba Inus shed A LOT. But that’s okay! There are so many other redeeming qualities that make living with dog hair everywhere totally worth it! And there are things you can do to limit how much they shed. For example, many Shiba Inu owners recommend brushing their fur a lot during the heavy shedding seasons or using a blow dryer to remove loose fur. Don’t worry, as long as you don’t keep your hair dryer on a hot setting, it won’t hurt your Shiba at all. In fact, lots of Shibas are known to actually enjoy the blow dryer! Shibas require a moderate amount of exercise and typically enjoy walking with their humans.

Picture Credits

Famous Shiba Inus

Obviously, the best Shiba Inu is Tofu! Tofu is amazing not only because he is an adorable dog, but also because he is able to brighten anyone’s day, no matter how awful, I promise! I first discovered Tofu a few months ago. I had spent the entire weekend stressed because I was supposed to get a math exam back Monday morning, and I did not feel very confident in it. On Monday, I was sitting in class waiting for my professor to arrive when I got a text from my friend, Danielle. I saw a dog, so I immediately clicked on it. It was Tofu! Even though I was sitting there, almost in tears because of how stressed I was, Tofu made me smile and relax for a few moments. I am living proof of how much Tofu’s videos can impact someone! With that, here are some recommendations for my favorite Tofu videos. Trust me, you’ll want to save this list somewhere, so you can watch it when you’re sad.

This ^ is the video Danielle sent me!

For more information on Shiba Inus please visit:

AKC

P.S. My math professor didn’t even give us back our exams that day!!! But when he did finally give them back, I passed. But my dear friend Tofu helped me to relax while I was waiting to see my grade. Thanks Tofu!