Created by Kinesiology students with direction from Dr. Bopp.
Top 10 Reasons for Being Active in College
- It targets stress
- It gives you energy
- It reduces the risk of illness
- If you get out and move around you’ll learn more about campus and town
- Helps you meet new people
- It improves memory retention and cognition
- It improves your mood
- It helps with energy balance
- Can help to combat diseases later in life
- It helps you to establish habits for the rest of your adult life
How Much Exercise Do You Need?
- 30 minutes of moderate intensity aerobic activity 5 days a week (150 min/week) or 25 minutes of vigorous intensity aerobic activity 3 days a week (75 min/week)
- AND muscle strengthening activities on 2 or more days a week
My Schedule is Packed! How can I fit in Exercise?
- Something is better than nothing!
- Break up your 30 minutes into 10 minute sessions
- Walking to class
- Study breaks
- Skip the loop!
How Do I Get Started?
- Find a great activity you can be excited about it
- Make a friend
- Ask for help
- Schedule it
- Make goals
Keep it Up!
- Try new activities
- Allow yourself a “lapse”
- Feeling comfortable? Take it to the next level
- Become an advocate!
Resources on Campus:
Facilities (http://www.athletics.psu.edu/rec/): Rec Hall, White Building, IM Building, Pegula Ice Arena, Natatorium, Tennis Center Penn State Arboretum
Resources Off Campus:
- Running Trails (http://www.mapmyrun.com/us/state-college-pa/),
- Off Campus Fitness Facilities (http://www.statecollege.com/business/h/health-clubs,125/) ,
- Nearby Parks (http://www.crpr.org/Parks/details/park_locations.html),
- Hike Mt Nittany (http://mtnittany.org/mountain/trails/)