Exercise is Medicine Week 2017
As with previous years, we will be set up outside across campus throughout EIM Week. We will be at the following locations from 9am – 3:30pm each day:
- Monday, October 9th: Willard Building Plaza
- Tuesday, October 10th: Palmer Art Museum
- Wednesday, October 11th: West Halls Quad
- Thursday, October 12th: Life Sciences
Exercise is Medicine Off Campus Day
Friday of EIM Week (Friday, October 13th) we are partnering with a number of great off-campus partners to offer no-cost or low-cost trial classes for Penn State students, faculty, and staff. More info can be found on our EIM Off Campus Day page.
As in previous years, we will be kicking off EIM Week 2017 with the Fifth Annual Dean’s Walk. Starting at noon in the BBH Plaza, join HHD administrators, faculty, staff, and students on a walk around campus to spread awareness about EIM and get everyone moving towards their 10,000 steps!
Grand Opening of the new Center for Fitness and Wellness
Also on Friday, October 13th we will be highlighting the Grand Opening of the new Center for Fitness and Wellness. Located in Room 020 Intramural Building, the CFW will now be working in collaboration with Penn State Health Promotion and Wellness in a brand new space created as part of the Intramural Building Phase 3 expansion. Stop by Friday between 10am and 4pm to see some of the great new services being offered!
One of the keys to the lasting success of Exercise is Medicine On Campus at Penn State is the ongoing support from our great campus partners. This year we are looking to have more participation and more partners than ever before. Throughout EIM Week we will be joined by:
- Healthy Penn State
- University Health Services
- Penn State Health & the On-Campus Employee Wellness Center
- Disability Athletics
- Campus Dining
- Adventure Recreation
- Crossfit Club
- Powerlifting Club
- Triathlon Club
- THON 5K (sign up here!)
- and more!
Throughout the week we will be competing against Michigan State, Iowa State, Kansas State, and Jacksonville in a Push Up and Lap challenge. All week we will be working to accumulate the most number of pushups, while Iowa State, Kansas State, and Jacksonville University all do the same during their own Exercise is Medicine events. Wednesday we will be competing against Michigan State in the second annual Lap Challenge around West Halls. Last year we completed over 18,000 push-ups and walked over 3,000 laps – we hope to top that this year!
This semester marks the opening of the brand new Intramural Building expansion on campus. The building now includes a climbing wall, indoor turf field, a new wellness suite, and several new fitness and workout rooms, among many other great resources. To highlight these new changes, EIM and Campus Recreation are partnering up for the EIM Week Class Challenge.
All you need to do is attend at least three of the classes listed on the back of the card pictured here between October 9th and October 20th (click on the image to download the card). Once in class, ask the instructor to initial that you attended, and drop this card off in the new Center for Fitness and Wellness in Room 020 IM Building before Monday, October 23rd. You can attend more than one class per day. We will be awarding over a dozen prizes, including a FitBit! Winners will be announced on October 25th. *Contest open to all students. Faculty/staff must have fitness membership to qualify.
Each day throughout EIM Week we have special events designed to highlight additional opportunities on and off campus.
- Monday, October 9th:
- HHD Faculty vs. Student Kickball, 4:00pm on the HUB Lawn
- Free Workout with Crossfit Club, 8:00pm in the Wagner Building (by the field hockey field)
- Tuesday, October 10th:
- Group hike of Mount Nittany. Meet at 5:30pm at the trailhead. Click here for a map.
- Wednesday, October 11th:
- Archery Tag presented by Adventure Recreation, starting at 4:00 on the HUB Lawn. Never heard of Archery Tag? Check it out here.
- Thursday, October 12th:
- Free yoga on the HUB Lawn, presented by Campus Recreation. Please bring your own towel/mat. All experience levels are welcome!
- Friday, October 13th:
- Grand re-opening of the Center for Fitness and Wellness in Room 020 IM Building, beginning at 10:00am.
Our 6th annual EiM on Campus speaker will be Dr. Bradley Cardinal from Oregon State University. His talk titled “In Pursuit of the Cure for Sloth and the Eradication of Physical Inactivity.” will be presented on September 28th at 3:05 in the Ag Science & Industries building, room 101.
Throughout our events we will be awarded over a dozen great prizes, including:
- Five free one-month memberships to F45
- Two, $75 gift cards towards Crossfit Nittany membership
- One free nutrition counseling session at One on One
- Four FitBits from The Station
- Bluetooth Headphones and one FitBit from Pepsi
- Free Class Passes to Fitology
- Free sub cards at Jersey Mikes
Anyone who attends any special event will be entered into drawings for the free memberships and class passes. Anyone participating in the EIM Class Challenge will be entered into a drawing for the Bluetooth Headphones and a FitBit. Other contest will be occurring randomly throughout the week for dozens of other great prizes!
Thank you to all of our great sponsors and donors, including:
- Crossfit Nittany
- Dynamic Rehab Solutions
- Lila Yoga
- Old State Clothing
- One on One
- Pacific Bread
- The Heights
- The Station