Indian

For this week, I went to try Indian food at Kaarma.  I asked the server what their most popular dish was and she told me Butter Chicken.  It came in mild sauce with rice on the side.  Overall it was better than I expected it would be, and the flavors were very surprising.  I would be open to trying it again.

One of the highest characteristics of Indian food is their rich spices and aromas that comes with the food.  Due to the enormous population of India, there is a widespread variety of food between the differing regions.  Cooking in India is considered to be an art, where most mothers teach their daughters at a young age.

Religion has also played a very prominent role on Indian cuisine.  The Hindu religion bans the slaughter of cows, thus Hindus do not eat beef.  This has influenced people other than Hindus, for many states have banned the slaughter of cows.  Therefore beef is hardly ever used in Indian food.  Another religious influence is from Islam.  Pork is banned for consumption by Muslims.  Those who follow Vaishnavism do not eat garlic or onions.  And Jains follow an even more strict version of vegetarianism  by not eating potatos or any other root vegetables.  They believe by pulling up the root, organisms that live around the root also die.

Unknown

The different regions of India have their own distinct style of cuisine.  The northern region is characterized by their moderately spicy and creamy gravies.  There is a lot of  fresh fruits and vegetables in this region, making vegetarian dishes the most popular.  Southern India has the spiciest food with rice being a staple in most dishes.  In the East, simplicity is the biggest characteristic and usually includes some form of rice.  The Western Part of India  has the most diversity; it includes a wide variety of both classic vegetarian dishes and meat entrees.

Food_map_of_India

Fun Facts:

Indians eat with their hands (considered to be more ritualistic and makes the food taste better)

All Indian cooking is carried out in a variety of vegetable oils like sunflower oil, mustard oil, groundnut oil and coconut oil. Animal fat is never used in cooking.

India is the world’s largest producer of bananas, producing nearly 22 million tons in 2007

One thought on “Indian

1. Great post! That was a quick, easy way to get a basic knowledge of Indian food and culture! I like the picture you posted that shows all of India’s diverse food based on region. I think it’s interesting how even the Hindu beliefs (like no beef) have spread to non-Hindus.