Italian

Italian food.  This is one cuisine that I’ve always enjoyed.  For this week I ordered from Mama Mia’s (which conveniently delivers and very quickly too).  I ordered bruschetta and ravioli, which came with a salad and bread.  Overall it was your typical italian food, delicious.  And with all the food that I got, it was a great deal too!  All in all I’d recommend Mama Mia to anyone.

r

Italian cuisine has great influence all over the world.  An italian meal is like no other.  The meal focuses greatly on time spent with the people you are dining with, thus daily meals take longer than the average meal here, and feasts on holidays can take hours.  The average meal would start with an entree, followed by a first course, a secondo or main course accompanied by a side dish and bread, a desert or a fresh fruit and an espresso or coffee.

r1

There is great diversity among the different regions of Italy in terms of their cuisine.  The Northern region is known for their stuffed pastas and the use of fish.  In Central Italy the food usually consists of various types of meats and fish, tomatoes and pecorino cheese.   Tomatoes,  peppers, olives and olive oil, garlic, artichokes, oranges, ricotta cheese, eggplants, zucchini, certain types of fish (anchovies, sardines and tuna), and capers are all popular in southern Italy.  The overall characteristics of italian cuisine are its wide use of pasta, sauces, fruits and vegetables and meats.  Wine is also important in italian cuisine.

ItaliePreviewWeb

Classic dishes include: Bruschetta, various pizza recipes, gnocchi, various spaghetti dishes, risotto, tortellini, steak alla florenti, veal marsala,

Fun Facts:

The average person in Italy eats more than 51 pounds of pasta every year. The average person in North America eats about 15-1/2 pounds per year

There are more than 600 pasta shapes produced worldwide.

February 13th is National “Eat Italian Food” Day

It was not until the 1700’s until tomato sauce was included with spaghetti in Italian kitchens.

3 thoughts on “Italian

1. Who doesn’t love Italian food?! Italian food has become so popular that it hardly even seems international to me at this point. Of course, we do tend to Americanize it a little bit, but nonetheless, it’s delicious! I wish that I would have thought to pick something like international foods for my topic. I’ll take any excuse I can find to go eat!

2. I had no idea that Mamma Mia’s delivers! You just made my day! I really like Italian. I like all of your blog posts and I like all the fun facts at the end. Great use of pictures by the way.

3. I love how you explore the history and important elements of the cuisine you are eating. Italian is definitely one of my favorites, and I would love to visit Italy one day to eat authentic Italian. One of my aunts is Italian, and we love when she hosts holidays and events because the food is always amazing!