Attendees: C. Andris, T. LaLonde, M. Mrsa, D. Meehan, R. Phillips, D. Goldberg, J. Vendor, R. Baxter, J. Richendrfer, N. Piekielek, Y. Bodovski.
- In an effort to better establish ourselves in the campus community, we are currently accepting all suggestions on a mission statement for this group.
- D. Goldberg recently attended the Tech Plus Conference, an AEC expo that was in NYC in May. They talked a lot about using BIM to create “digital twin” models of buildings to simulate changes or updates to the buildings.
- Again the topic of trying to get an ArcGIS Server instance up and running for general use came up.
- J. Richendrfer from OPP will give a brief talk in the next UG meeting.
FORM AN OFFICIAL COMMITTEE?
- A big topic of conversation was how to make this group more official.
- There was a GIS Council that disbanded a few years back. Plenty of lessons learned.
- Do we form a smaller council/committee/working group that has more community buy-in?
- Discussions on-going, input welcome.
- Campus map has been updated and is live. Has many different views and sets of data available.
- ADA information is not very accurate as this data is maintained in CAD, not GIS, and has not been updated recently.
- Maps are representing static information, not tied to GIS data as originally intended.
GIS Day, November 13th 2018:
- Tara La Londe (TLL38) is again leading the effort to plan the 2018 PSU GIS Day events. Please reach out to her if you’re interested in helping out.
- Our will take place on Tuesday, November 13th. HACC event will be Wednesday the 14th.
- Events will be: Technology Demo, Lightning Talks, Keynotes, and Networking Reception.
YOUTH MAPPERS GROUP:
- C. Andris spoke about a new group on campus that will focus on Open Street Map and humanitarian issues.
- Undergrad GIS Coalition is part of this. Will hold 2 Map-a-Thons per year.
- They are looking for guest speakers.
There will be a GIS HH on Thursday, 4PM at Champs Downtown.
Next GIS UG meeting will be July 18th at 10AM in Walker Building.