Attendees: Mrsa, Gowen, King, Baxter, LaLonde, Ross, Vender, Meehan.
- All are encouraged to tell friends and colleagues about this group
- Next meeting May 24. 10AM. Stuckeman Family Building
- Actual GIS day is November 15th, 2017.
- Talked about moving PSU GIS Day so people can participate in other events.
- Need to have quality giveaways
- Need more professors to incentivize it
- There will not be booths this year
- What groups can we get involved?
- We would like to get a job description together for a Gould Intern to handle aspects of this day.
- Summer thru the Fall position.
- Letters will go out to different units in the coming weeks
- Desktop licenses and other software will be minimally priced
- Students can get licenses for free
Attendees: D. Howard, Y. Bodovski, H. Ross, B. King, D. Meehan, N. Piekielek, M. Zeiders, R. Baxter, J. Richendrfer, R. Philips, M. Mrsa, P. Garbini.
- Next Meeting – April 11th, Mad-Mex 330PM
Talked about standing up an ArcGIS Server instance that could serve multiple entities
Is it possible to collaborate together to buy server(s)?
Are there any existing VM instances that we can use?
Esri Enterprise License Agreement:
Space Planning & Management and Campus Map:
- Penn Bay (Esri partner) will be replacing the current space inventory system
- Eventually all spaces will be connected to a master schedule/calendar
- Campus Bird visitor maps will move forward after PB work gets started
- We are looking for ideas on how to improve GIS day and draw more people in
- The next GIS UG meeting will focus on how we can work together to improve the day
- What ideas do people have about speakers
- Who would you like to see speak?
- Build a vision and then decide how it will be planned out
- Is it possible to put out a survey to those who came?
- Should we have a sign up?
- Make the networking a happy hour?
Attendees: Bodovski, Brewer, LaLonde, Meehan, Piekielek, C. Smith, Vender.
- Chris Capelli (Esri) was here in October and met with various groups.
- GEOG006 – New course based on Mapping Revolution MOOC.
- Main purpose is to get folks into the GI-Science majors.
- GEOG is working on developing an online Associates and Bachelors Degree.
- Movement to start advanced high school AP course for GIS and T. GEOG working on it.
ESRI Enterprise License Agreement:
- Mike Mrsa. Met with Chris Capelli of Esri about ELA.
- Potential new agreement would try and spread costs of agreement among departments.
- Costs would be reduced for faculty/staff.
- ArcGIS Online could be behind SSO.
- What happens to computer labs?
- Beth King, Mike Mrsa, main POCs for this effort.
December 20th is next meeting. Will be more of a social event and take place at Liberty Craft House.
Attendees: Baxter, Mrsa, Brewer, Donna, LaLonde, Bodovski, Meehan, Vender.
Esri Enterprise Site License Agreement (ELA) Update: Mike Mrsa
- Site license has been renewed and we will need to come up with a plan for how ArGIS online Organizational Accounts will be handled and distributed.
- How do we determine how organizational accounts will be broken out?
- How many users for each account?
- How are classes handled?
- How does this all tie into desktop licensing and ArcGIS Pro?
- Mike Mrsa will be pulling a group together to discuss this. Policy needs to be defined.
- Updated user agreements will go out to current users next month.
GIS Day Update
- Plans are coming together for the events on November 14th and 15th.
- Folks from Blue Raster will be giving the Keynote speech.
- There will be information booths, career panel, keynotes speakers and lightning talks.
- There will be drawing for a gift certificate and a networking reception on Monday 5-630PM.
Next Meeting is November 9th, 4PM, Whiskers Lounge at the Nittany Lion Inn.
Attendees: Baxter, Beekman, K. Prescot, Andris, King, La Londe, Meehan, Vender, D. Howard, Mrsa, Brewer.
- Clio Andris will be teaching a residential GIS course this Fall. GIS Skills for Research, GEOG 565.
- Ms. Deb Howard (Facilities Resources & Planning) spoke about the on-going projects to create a visitor’s map as well as update the Facilities information Systems that is house in OPP. Anyone interested in participating in these conversations is encouraged to contact Deb (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Group keeps track of all campus space this PSU owns, this includes Real Estate.
- All floor plans are in CAD
- System is over 15 years old (Oracle) and needs to be updated.
- Multiple systems and platforms need to be brought together.
- Goal is to bring in all maps associated.
- Teams (Campus Bird and PennBay) are coming in October for additional meetings.
- Do we have any volunteers for a talk in the next meeting?
- Tara La Londe provided an update on GIS day, November 14-15.
- Blue Raster is interested in providing feedback to faculty/instructors from a recruiting standpoint.
- GIS Day Highlights include:
- Events both Monday and Tuesday
- Networking lunch
- Career Panel
Next Meeting is Tuesday, September 27th, at 1030AM in the Mann Assembly Room, Paterno Library.
Welcome to Sites At Penn State. This is your first post. Edit or delete it, then start blogging!