Health at PSU

Just another Sites At Penn State site

House-Bound Health: Part I

on March 27, 2020

What else is there to talk about except covid, am I right? Well, I am sure that most of you, like me, have long reached that point where Netflix and eating all day is getting old. I for one am so tired of being in this house… so, just yesterday I drastically changed the lifestyle I have had the past few weeks (I had two oral surgeries and have been pretty immobile) and tried to get back to the good habits I had at school, but modify them for home! Here are some things I have tried that might help you feel better and get through this quarantine. COVID has been pretty hard on everyone, some much more than others, obviously, but even if you aren’t suffering like some, it is still important to prioritize your physical and mental health. Ok, let’s go! This is my *ideal* day during quarantine:

1. Maintain a sleep schedule. As most of you have probably realized by now, you got to go to bed relatively early and set an alarm to wake up at some decent time – otherwise, you waste all night on Netflix, sleep all day, and ruin your sleep cycles. This can lead to real psychological issues pertaining to circadian rhythms, getting enough sunlight/vitamin D, and getting enough sleep in general.
  2. Start your day off with some exercise. It is so hard to get going on school work or anything really when there is no reason to get dressed or shower let alone leave your bedroom. I have realized you really got to get into a routine that wakes you up and makes you feel like its time to work or do something. I have had so much lethargy and this has helped a ton. I do a 15-30 minute workout following either a NikeFit workout (its a great app, you can set your difficulty, muscle group, and time) or follow a YoutTube video. Only 15-30 minutes of moderate physical exercise has been proven to improve sleep, mental health, focus and productivity, and, of course, physical health and metabolic function.
  3.  Take a (cold?) shower everyday. I am in Florida so the workout gets me pretty sweaty. I like to follow this exercise up with a cold shower. It might be a bit uncomfortable at first, but even going quick cold then warm is good. Cold showers have shown to improve focus and productivity, promote skin and hair health, make you happier, and, of course, really wake you up. They also help you to burn more calories throughout the day, which is great since we aren’t moving as much as usual.
  4. Meditate and stretch. I have been watching so much TV and YouTube that my head has felt foggy and distracted. Try to do a 5-10 minute guided meditation after your shower. There are great ones with cool music on Spotify, but I also love ‘Waking Up with Sam Harris’, you can find them on YouTube. They are like 8 minutes and great for a beginner meditator because they really guide you through what to do but aren’t too long or intense. They tell you sit in a chair, but I prefer to lie on a yoga mat on the floor (that’s also great for your back). After a bit of guided meditation to get in the right headspace, I like to put on some meditation music (there are playlists on Spotify and YouTube) and do some quiet stretching/yoga. After a few days of being indoors, my body has gotten really stiff. It is important to keep your muscles limber for a lot of reasons pertaining to long-term physical condition. After this, I feel great physically, my mind is clear, and I have a far more positive outlook on the day, which is hard to come by these days – I was pretty depressed and lonely the past weeks ngl. Try to apply the mindfulness taught in the guided meditation to #5 – your diet.
  5. Try some form of intermittent fasting and be aware of eating. You don’t need to go 20 hours without eating, but try maybe to do the previous 4 steps before you eat anything. With such a short exercise, you don’t need to eat something first (if you choose a more intense cardio, use personal discretion). Being at home, it is really easy to conflate boredom with hunger. To avoid just constantly snacking or mindless over-eating, try to keep 3 meals per day with minimal eating between them. For even better results, keep these 3 meals in a set amount of time, i.e. don’t eat breakfast before 10 and don’t eat dinner after 6. This 8 hour window is the typical beginner’s IF and is relatively easy, especially after a few days, and will help you control your diet, but most importantly, IF has immense health benefits, ranging from decreased risk of neurodegenerative diseases and an increased lifespan to weight loss (eating the same amount of calories in a shorter period of time will put on less fat than over a longer daily time period!) and increased focus. Highly recommend, even for only a few days a week. Also, just cutting out late night snacking will have benefits if you aren’t ready to commit to IF.

Of course, it may be hard to do all of this everyday. Maybe try focusing on one or two at a time and building up a routine is extremely important for everyone during this time, and is especially hard. I hope I helped someone today – we are all in the same boat. This is super hard. Even though its not a ton of fun, your body and mind will thank you for taking care of them. It has been 2 days of this for me and I already feel a hundred times better. Good luck, y’all. Tune in next time for part II where I will finish the daily routine!

3 Responses to “House-Bound Health: Part I”

1. jjs7056 says:

I find it so hard to keep a regimented schedule! It is like one day I set a good schedule for my day and follow it, but then the next day, I completely fall off. I do try and follow the 4 steps you have listed everyday though just to make sure I don’t go crazy! Hope you stay regimented and stay safe!

2. arc5926 says:

Personally, the hardest part of social distancing is not being able to go to the gym. While I try to do my best at home with bodyweight exercises, it just isn’t the same. Additionally, I find that it is hard to even have a schedule when nothing seems to have a schedule in my life. I know this situation will not pass soon, so I will definitely try to follow your tips to get my life back together!

3. mwt5370 says:

Honestly I’m glad to see that many of the habits I have formed since starting house-bound life are healthy. I have been going out only to get some exercise at public park nearby while of course keeping social distance, and I have been more or less keeping a regular sleep schedule. I think I might want to try the meditating and stretching though, because I definitely feel stiff and all over the place with my mind. The difficulty for me is that leaving my house brings me out into what is often snow, while you melt in the sun. We’ll make it through this though!

You must be logged in to post a comment.