2018 Penn State Human Library Rescheduled for April 20th!

JOIN US Friday, April 20! SIGN UP HERE.

11 a.m. – noon

Showcase Panel
Join us in Foster Auditorium in the Paterno Library for a moderated Showcase Panel featuring three of our books. Delve deeper into the stories of Ben Wideman, Danielle Dormer, and Daveon McMullen. No signup required.

1-2 p.m.

Healing the Self Through Service by Danielle Dormer
A young woman with no hopes of an education becomes one of Penn State’s elite graduates. After dropping out of High School because of Drug and Alcohol addiction, Danielle Dormer found her way into the United States Army in hopes of a better future. After some success and living what seemed to be a good life a career-ending injury in Iraq plummets her back into addiction. Danielle’s journey from rock bottom through education is a story of victory and service.

Two Strikes But I’m Out (& Proud): Navigating Life As a Black, Gay Man by Daveon McMullen
For me life has been an on-going process of learning how to courageously walk in my truth, despite the oppressive obstacles of racism and homophobia along this path. I will candidly share my coming out story and discuss how the intersection of being Black and gay manifests in my life.

Legally Blind, Blonde, and Albino by Seria Chatters
Imagine being the new kid 11 different times while being albino and legally blind. Yep, that was me. My life was full of roadblocks and bridges, however, I use these stories in hopes that my pitfalls can be someone else’s parachute.

From poverty to the American dream (A Jamaican- Canadian path to success) by Gary Smith
Life counted him out and let him down on many occasions but through hard-work, perseverance, dumb-luck and a “guardian angel” he survived. From living in three countries and immigrating to America, this book tells the true story of how a young child went from near death to being the first member of his family to graduate college.

2-3 p.m.

Edgar Farmer: My African American Journey by Edgar I. Farmer
My human book begins during my experience as an Eagle Scout in Newport News, Virginia, when Dwight Eisenhower was President of the United States and his brother, Milton, was President of Penn State. It will include my experience as an Airborne soldier in Vietnam with the 173rd Airborne Brigade. Finally, my book will also include experiences as a high school teacher to College Professor and visitations to more than 25 different international countries.

A Cleaner Side of the Dirty South by Teresa Hamilton
My small, Southern, segregated hometown helped me appreciate the “underdogs” of the world, see the invisible people and understand that nothing is what it seems. Definitely an awakening.

Thankful for What I’ve Lost by Eric Ian Farmer
Is losing money something to be thankful for? What if that’s what it takes to lose arrogance?

3-4 p.m.

Rwanda: Africa’s success story by Emmy Muhoza
Having been born and raised in Rwanda, Africa, I have seen a continent made up of humble and hard-working people. The Africa I have seen is very different from the one that I read in the newspapers or the one I watch on CNN and any other Western news outlet including social media platforms. I have seen an Africa that is a continent rather than being a country. I have seen an Africa that is flourishing economically, socially and politically despite the various challenges that Africa faces in areas of technology and international politics.

In Search of the Mystery by Shih-In Ma
Shih-In Ma has had pain and grace in her life, time in the Peace Corps and with IBM.  In 1993, she had a spiritual insight which propelled her out of her corporate life.  Since then, her life has been decidedly untraditional, studying with teachers in numerous spiritual traditions and spending four years in India with Amma, the Hugging Saint.  She hopes that hearing her story may impart some insight or inspiration.

A Bend in the Road by Robyn Dyke
After the birth of your second child, you are waiting patiently in your hospital bed to meet your new daughter, when all of a sudden a doctor enters your room with information that will change your life forever. With this life-changing news will your life come to a screeching halt or will it just be a bend in the road? Learn how one mother was able to remain positive in what others would think would be a very dismal situation.

From India to Iowa: Reflections of My Journey by Niharika Sharma
I was born in India, and grew up there. When I came to the US to a new environment, everything changed around me. I want to share reflections of my journey so far that have made me realize the importance of continuing to learn, accept change as a constant and most importantly “make change.”

4-5 p.m.

Where Am I From? by Vicka Pevzner
26 years in Russia vs 26 years in America and every new person I met asks me where am I from and how long I’ve been here? That question passively implies that I am NOT from here. At what point ARE you from here?

In Search of the Mystery by Shih-In Ma

The Curious Canadian Campus Minister Conundrum by Ben Wideman
Discover how a baseball-loving Canadian ended up at Penn State creating a unique campus ministry alternative that focuses on peace, justice, and faith. Learn how he balances work, family, and self-care, and explore what keeps him committed to this kind of work!

The Clash of Universes by Helia Hosseinpour
The story of an Immigration from Iran to the United States. The battle of what beliefs to keep and what to let go of while trying fight for justice. And the fascinating journey of understanding the human mind, the universe, and diversity through the transition.