What is Bribery?
Bribery means “The act of taking or receiving something with the intention of influencing the recipient in some way favorable to the party providing the bribe. Bribery is typically considered illegal and can be punishable by jail time or stiff fines if authorities find out about the bribe” (Businessdictionary.com).
Bribery in organization includes the act of taking or receiving money between a company and consumer illegally for giving what their want sooner than due date or getting the product more than they write it in contracts.
According to Federal laws on Bribery in the US, “Bribery is the practice of offering, giving, receiving, or soliciting something of value for the purpose of influencing the action of an official in discharge of his/ her public or legal duties” (Bribery.usalegal.com). there is some general federal bribery statue punishes the following acts of bribery:
- Any public official influencing the performance of any official act in violation of official duty;
- A person bribing a public official with the intent to influence his/her testimony under oath or affirmation before any court, or any committee;
- A person demanding bribery in return for being influenced in testimony under oath or affirmation as a witness in a trial or proceeding or in return for his/her absence from such appearance;
- Any person offering bribery for the performance of a public duty;
- Any person demanding bribery for the discharge of public duty;
- Any person giving anything of value personally for testimony under oath to be given by such person as a witness upon any trial; and
- Any person demanding anything of value personally for testimony under oath to be given by such person as a witness upon any trial.
What do you think about the rules of government of Iran about bribery?
Yes, I would say there is the same rule and punishes for each organization that breaks the rules. They have several rules against bribery and all organizations have to obey the rules. But this is just the rules. In real world, bribery is kind of routine act that consumers do to get the product that they want. It is like a normal act in most of organizations. If you don’t want to pay extra to the organizations, they will not care of your orders to be accurate or be ready on time. I cannot say it is routine in all organizations, but in most of them, bribery is like an unwritten rule that you have to pay and no one speak about it. But there is a huge difference between these two cultures.
According to multiculturalism, which means “several cultures coming together. This process of coming together can take many forms, but the general idea is that different cultures are coming into contact with one another” (PSU, 2019), it would be a very obvious difference between the culture of Iran and the US. When cultures are different and they decide to work together, conflicts of cultural values happens and when conflict values happens, it leads them to an ethical dilemma. what is an ethical behavior?
In this case, ethical behavior is very obvious, but the problem is leaders don’t want to pay attention to it because it is not beneficial for them. In other words, if they decide to obey the rules and stop taking bribery, their salary would decrease vastly and they think it is not a positive step to stop taking it.
PSU. (2019) PSY 833, Ethics & Leadership: L12 Globalism/Multicultural Issues. Retrieved from: https://psu.instructure.com/courses/1963919/pages/l12-overview?module_item_id=25808533.