Creativity of Language

Language is consistently being used by anyone and everyone who believes they can benefit from learning how to construct sentences, phrases, words, etc. in order to help them achieve a certain goal. Even now, I am writing this blog post and manipulating language in order to hopefully compel you to keep reading. If I do a good job, then maybe you will make it to the end of my post.

Language allows us to create new ideas and communicate them with others. Most recently, I have been noticing how the media and politicians use language to gain support for their causes. One example is President Joe Biden’s campaign slogan, “Build back better.” Although it is just 3 words, they were carefully thought out and tested on sample audiences to see what kind of reaction they would invoke before these words were chosen as his slogan. The amount of thought and effort that goes into choosing high-level political campaign slogans like “Build back better” and “Make American great again” is telling of just how much of an impact language has on its intended audience. Words are just words without comprehension and the ability to paint a picture with them.

Language allows us to create an infinite number of ideas and this is what marketing agencies understand.  If they can successfully get their intended audience to feel like they fully comprehend their mission through just a few words, then they have done their job. Every person wearing a “Make America great again” hat feels in their mind that they know exactly what that promise of action entails. They have a vivid picture in their mind of what America looks like if it is made great again and they can connect with like-minded people based on their support for these words.

Language has been manipulated for thousands of years. I believe it is because as humans, we are just beginning to understand its complexities and the nature of what it should be used for. It is possible that if every person had a thorough understanding of the nature of language and how it can be used to manipulate, build barriers, and even oppress those with a lesser understanding (i.e. Wall street terminology and the average American understanding of these terms), then we could see a day where marketing and media companies don’t have so much influence on people’s decision making.