Perception in Our World

Perception in the brain is a fascinating topic. It is interesting how our brain makes up images for us to shorten processing time. Our brain seems to grab what is familiar to us as perceptual experiences in a way to create the image.

Gestalt’s grouping Laws include proximity, similarity, good continuation, connectedness, common fate, and pragnanz.

One example of this would be the top-down image from our Lesson 3 reading. The checkerboard showing two tiles, one being tile A, the other tile B. Both appear to be different colors. However when we see the two tiles away from the checkerboard we then realize that they are the same. When the board is rebuilt around said image, we see the tiles change back to fulfill the checkered pattern.

Another example was shown to us in the video of Charlie Chaplin’s face. The video showed a mask of the actor’s face rotating.   When the mask rotated to show the hollow side the face in the video, he explained that our brains would perceive it as convex. During the first rotation, I saw the mask as concave and hollow on the inside, but once he mentioned what he was observing I then observed it as convex and then could not see it hollow again. I also find this interesting when people point certain things out in a image we can not see them as we originally did due to perception.

The final example I would like to bring up here was a picture that started circulating around social media. This picture showed black and blue dress, though most people saw a white and gold dress. This conflict of perception caused it to become viral. People began sharing to other people to see what they perceived as the color of the dress. People are affected by the different visual cues such as, shadowing and the brightness of the background.

In conclusion, I feel that Gestalt created a good foundation for the reasons why we see things the way we do. It is an excellent reference point to explain why we perceive the world around us.

References.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/02/28/science/white-or-blue-dress.html?_r=0

Lesson 3 Course content