Where Am I Going Again?

Every 3 months, I drive my son to his doctor appointment. The first time I used direction that I printed from the Google map. Easy. The second time I figured that I could easily remember how to get there…not so easy. There were no multiple turns or freeway driving, so I tried to remember without the directions. I had to call to find my way there. I felt like an idiot. The third time I thought for sure I can find it, again couldn’t remember where to turn. It has been one and a half years now and just last Saturday was the first time I could remember my exact route. I have a good memory for most other things but for some reason, not for this particular memory (PSU Campus, 2014).

This would be an example of memory shifting from sensory to short-term to it’s final resting place in my long-term memory. My problem was that because I didn’t frequent this particular route on a daily basis, there was no rehearsal. So as soon as we left the appointment, I didn’t think about these driving directions again for 3 months.

Modal model of memory, or also known as the Atkinson-Shiffrin (1968), model of memory, explains that there are 3 different systems that memory passes through sensory memory, short-term memory, and long-term memory. Each system has a limited amount of time that a memory is held, except for long-term.

Sensory memory is the earliest stage of memory. In this stage, sensory information from the environment is stored for a very brief period of time, generally for no longer than a half to 5 seconds. We only pay attention to certain aspects of this sensory memory, allowing some of this information to pass into the next stage, short-term memory (PSU Campus, 2014).

Short-term memory (working memory), also known as active memory, is the second stage according to Atkinson-Shiffrin (1968). It is the information we are currently aware of or thinking about. Paying attention to sensory memories or rehearsal of particular information generates that information in short-term memory. Most of the information stored in active memory will be kept for approximately 15 to 30 seconds. While many of our short-term memories are quickly forgotten, attending to this information allows it to continue on the next stage, long-term memory (PSU Campus, 2014).

In long-term memory, there is a limitless amount of storage for information. This information is largely outside of our awareness, but can be called into working memory to be used when needed. Some of this information is sometimes easy to recall, while other memories are could be more difficult to access (PSU Campus, 2014).

In all, our memory is an amazing system filled with many memories, thoughts, and to-do lists. How we choose to recall certain information depends largely on how we perceive it, file, and store it. So when driving to a destination that you will need to remember at a later time, pay visual attention to where things are and what the street sign say. That way, you’ll never (hopefully) get lost.

Pennsylvania State University World Campus (2014, 2 17). Lesson 06. Retrieved 3 14, 2014, from PSYCH 256 Introduction to Cognitive Psycholoy: https://courses.worldcampus.psu.edu/sp14/psych256/001/content/06_lesson/04_page.html

7 thoughts on “Where Am I Going Again?

1. Megan Elisabeth Bernhardt

It makes sense that it would be difficult to remember something that you do once, then do not have to think about for a long period of time. As you mentioned, there is no rehearsal, no practice, for it to go into long term memory. This happens to me quite frequently. For my job, I need to visit clients at their house, and see numerous clients each day of the week. Some families, I recall after the first trip, because it may be close to my office (which I of course travel to and from constantly) or it may be near another client I have been working with for some time and am very familiar with the route. The clients in areas that I am not familiar with, require numerous return trips utilizing the GPS. The more I work with them, and travel the route, I can eventually complete the route in my sleep without even thinking about what I am doing. It is as if I am on autopilot. At this point, it is engrained in my long term memory. Practice and repetition are key to recalling information.

2. Louise Hannah

I know exactly how you feel! I moved to Tennessee 8 years ago and have made the trip back to Pennsylvania numerous times since then. Just this past weekend, myself and my daughter made the trip for what felt like the millionth time. It’s been a while since we had visited but I thought I would remember considering that I haven’t needed directions since the first 5 times or so. We prepared for the long haul and left at midnight. As my daughter slept I talked on the phone, hands free of course, and realized that I didn’t recognize any of the signs or landmarks. I had forgotten a turn! I was so caught up in gabbing that I didn’t realize that I had missed the turn onto Rt. 77. I had already driven 30 miles out of my way.

3. Anthony D Ferrono

I can relate to you on this one, I myself forget where and why im going specific places sometimes. As funny as it sounds when i leave my house to go to work i make a left and then its all programmed into my head how to get their. Funny enough on weekends when im going to the hardware store i know that i have to take a right out of my neighborhood, but instinctively i take a left. Half way to work and i go ” wait where am i going, Lowes is in the other direction….crap!”. I have done this on many occasions as im not to proud to boast about, but i understand what you say in your article. Its so interesting how i have the opposite of what happened to you when your short term memory shifted into long term memory. My long term memory says go left, when my short term memory should say go right! This as of now is funny to me, but as i age im sure i will get more worried! “When you’re driving, you need your Frontal Lobes to control your thinking and plan out where you are driving to and how you will get there”. This is a passage from a related article that i found so interesting pertaining to forgetful driving and how our brains work while driving.

4. Jennifer Lee Segilia

In the past, I have seemed to have had a knack for finding my way. I would need printed out or written directions the first time finding my way somewhere, but generally would not need them the second time. I may not have remembered exact street names or route numbers, but I was always good with landmarks; such as make a right at the Sheetz or there’s a big blue house with a pond on the right hand side of the road where I need to turn.
    I currently own a GPS navigation system which I rely on quite frequently as I often travel for work. I am finding that I now need the GPS for directions all the time, even for place that I have gone to many times. I think that in the past, I was able to focus all my attention on the directions and the landmarks. The GPS seems to have made me “blind” to the landmarks and directions. Now I just mindlessly find my way, relying solely on the device. Yes, I am able to pay more attention to my driving (which is a great thing) but what happens if the GPS breaks or is wrong? At least in the past I would be able to find my way. Now if something were to happen, I’d be completely lost.

5. Venus Lopez

My sympathies go out to you on anything that has to do with travel, spatial recognition and map reading. I believe that gene got passed up when I was developing in the womb, unfortunately. I use my vehicle navigation for places that I have been to dozens of times and still I cannot seem to space out the proper way to get there on my own.

I like to blame it on the hunter and gathers, our ancestors. Men had to go out and track our food/game, while women tended to the tribe and stayed within their allotted territory. Flash forward a few thousand years later and we have a society of women that have a hard time navigating. This is a joke, but studies have shown that men and women have different wiring and because of this we women tend to struggle in the navigating department.

In an article by Steve Connor titled, The hardwired difference between male and female brains could explain why men are ‘better at map reading’, he goes on to explain “Men are in general better at spatial tasks involving muscle control while women are better at verbal tasks involving memory and intuition.” This leads to somewhat of an explanation.

I also feel that rehearsal is key whether you are male or female. The fact that you only went once every three months explains why your rehearsal time did not infiltrate your long-term memory. In my case, I really must take more time to pay attention and study my surrounding a little more. If I add rehearsal time, I will surely master this spatial inconsistency and become navigator of my own domain.

Steve Connor. (The hardwired difference between male and female brains could explain why men are ‘better at map reading’) The Independent. 03 December 2013
    http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/the-hardwired-difference-between-male-and-female-brains-could-explain-why-men-are-better-at-map-reading-8978248.html

6. Lori Anne Hohn

I can relate to your problem with remembering. I am horrible at giving directions and find GPS units confusing. I guess I prefer the old fashioned way of printing directions out like you did. I try to remember directions by landmarks. If you tell me there are three stop lights and make a right by the Sunoco gas station, i am able to follow those directions pretty accurately. You are right in if you do not usually follow that route on a daily basis it could be hard to recall those routes. My daughter has disabilities and has to be seen by eleven different specialists a year. It is hard sometimes to remember directions to every office especially when they change or if we have not been there for a while. Our memory is an amazing system and it is interesting how some things will trigger us to remember and pull information from our long term memory. Our book indicates that semantic memories can be enhanced by episodic memories. So an event can help us remember the facts with directions. Maybe that is why I remember some doctor’s office locations better than others. I think divided attention plays a part in what we remember too. Especially if we are driving, trying to pay attention to our children, and follow directions. As a mom I feel like I am constantly multi-tasking. I agree with you that sometimes it is harder to retrieve information from our long term memory. This could cause in issue in trying to remember directions to an office you haven’t been to many times. I find myself forgetting what floor certain offices are on once I get to the hospital. I would think after being there so many times I would remember by now. You are right that forgetting directions also has to do with sensory memory since we only hold these memories briefly. It is interesting how we can retrieve certain things from our long term memory where others are difficult. I call this phenomenon the “mom’s brain”. I found these articles on the “mommy brain” to be interesting. There is even suggestions that moms brains our bigger.

http://www.parenting.com/article/your-mom-brain-1206657904611
    http://news.discovery.com/human/genetics/are-moms-brains-bigger-130512.htm

Goldstein, E. B., (2011). Cognitive Psychology: Connecting Mind, Research, And
    Everyday Experience (Third Edition). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

7. Clayton Bernard Foreman

I know how you feel as I get older my memory continues to leave me a little at a time. I used to be able to go to a new place just once and be able to remember how to get there again with no help, now I must rely on my GPS and I’m just too young not to remember (53 years young). So keep your GPS handy next time you travel.