Multiple Sclerosis

When speaking about the function of the brain, it is only natural to me to think of the things that could possibly go wrong with the communication of the brain with the rest of the body. I think this way because I suffer from a condition that disrupts the communication between my brain, my nervous system, and the rest of my body. By this I mean that I have the condition called Multiple sclerosis, most commonly known as MS. Multiple sclerosis is a condition in which the immune system attacks the myelin sheath of the nerves, or the covering of the nerve (Multiple Sclerosis, n.d.).

illustration_myelin

With the damage to the myelin sheath the communication between the brain and the body is disrupted. Everyone can experience different symptoms with this condition and the overall amount of damage to the nerves varies but then can ultimately deteriorate (Multiple Sclerosis). With this condition I have trouble with losing the feeling in my hands as well as arms, trouble with my vision, mild pain, muscle spams and tremors (just to name a few).

Although there is no cure for this condition there is medication that can treat the symptoms as well as slow the process of nerve damage. With the information that we have learned about the brain we can specifically identify regions of the brain where the damage is impairing function. Since I experience tremors as well as balance impairment we can determine that there is a miscommunication with the cerebellum (Lesson 2, n.d.). There can also be a miscommunication with the occipital lobe since it processes visual information and the parietal lobe to cause the disruption and sensation of pain (Lesson 2, n.d.).

brain_diagram_w_links

Thankfully in my situation I do not experience these symptoms all the time, it comes and goes depending on several factors in my daily life although these factors are out of my control.

Multiple Sclerosis. (n.d.) The Mayo Clinic. Retrieved from http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/multiple-sclerosis/basics/definition/con-20026689

Lesson 2: Cognitive Neuroscience. [Lecture notes]. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://courses.worldcampus.psu.edu/sp15/psych256/003/content/03_lesson/08_page.html

One thought on “Multiple Sclerosis

1. mml5342

I personally do not have Multiple Sclerosis but someone in my family does. I know first hand how it can affect your brain and the functions of the brain that you depend on everyday. My family member, like you, does not suffer from any major side affects and seems to have it pretty well controlled with a weekly does of medicine. I do know that some things like balance and walking heel-to-toe coordination are not perfect. They also have some tingling sensations in their leg. I can not imagine what it must be like to want and try to do something but not be able to do it due to a miscommunication in brain transmissions. I hope someday that they find a cure to help people with this disease. Thank you for writing this post about yourself, it touched me personally.