When I first moved in to school, and it became real that I actually live in Pennsylvania, it was very odd. It still is, and I honestly do not plan to really fully adjust to the change, but everyday it seems a little more like my reality. Although I still hate having to scroll all the way to the “P” states when I indicate my address when online shopping, and having to explain to my friends that Penn State is in the state of Pennsylvania, which is more often than one would predict, I think all of the differences I am noticing have made it just that much more exciting that I am where I am now.

Though I am slowly becoming adjusted to the odd terms I hear on the daily, there are certain trends that I do not expect to get adjusted to any time soon. Certain styles of shoes especially. I knew inevitably when I was making the move from the west coast to the east coast I was going to see Birkenstocks. The shoes, which prior to this August I had only seen on social media, are something my friends and I would only joke about. “Jesus Sandals”, “Hippie Slippers” and many more names were associated with the brand. Now it feels like if you are not wearing “Birks”, then you are missing out on some big part of the culture at Penn State. Sadly, however, I am not as opposed to the brand nearly as much as I was upon my arrival in central Pennsylvania. I have honestly considered making the purchase myself a few times, yet come to my senses before actually following through. The popularity of the shoes, however shocks me considering the location in which they find most of their revenue. One would think, in a place that is around 70 degrees throughout the year, as it is in San Diego, that sandals that are easy to put on and can be actually quite fashionable, would be a saving grace. Conversely, it is the parts of the country that get into negative degrees and snow that seem to have found an interest. Though I am not completely sold on the idea yet, I think a few more months of seeing Birkenstocks everywhere I go may have me convinced to find a pair of my own.

Another footwear phenomenon that I have noticed, yet can say with certainty that I will never be apart of, is Crocs. Not even as a child did I have any desire to wear them, while everyone else was finding pins and fun things to accessorize with, the shoes never really sparked my interest. Now, in present day, as a seventeen year old, on a college campus, I am shocked with how many people I see wearing the shoes. This is a trend absolutely no one would participate in I am assuming in the entire state of California, but definitely not in San Diego. The first pair I saw, I thought the person was wearing them as a joke, to be funny around his friends. Then as I began to see more and more people wearing the same shoes, I began to realize they were in fact wearing them seriously. This is a style choice that you would almost never ever find on the west coast. Quite frankly, I am not sure why or how this fad has resurfaced over the last decade, but it is one that when it dies down the next time, will hopefully be for good.

Walking down the streets of San Diego, on an average teenage girl, it is rare to spot someone drifting away from the norm. Whether it coincides with the idea of California being “basic” or just sticking to what they know, only very few brands are actually worn, while most others are strayed away from. The most common style is by far a white sneaker, included brands such as Vans, Converse, Adidas, Fila, and Nike. Sandals are nearly all Rainbow brand, while Kate Spade and Michael Kors are seen on occasion. As for anything resembling crocs, I have yet to see on anyone I know personally.

The different brands of shoes is something I was very surprised to find differ so greatly in two different parts of the country. Though some style changes were expected, I did not take time to consider them to be within shoes. I am still adjusting to the many unexpected differences between the over two and a half thousand miles, but they seem to get more and more interesting as time goes on. As for myself, I think I am going to stick with what I am familiar with shoe wise, and continue to wear my white sneakers for a majority of my days.