The Graduate Certificate in Public Health provides students with foundational graduate-level coursework in public health. Upon completion of the Graduate Certificate in Public Health, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate their knowledge in the five core areas of public health, which include: biostatistics, environmental health sciences, epidemiology, health services administration, and social and behavioral sciences.
- Apply their knowledge and skills to solving public health problems.
The certificate is made up of five core public health courses, for a total of 15 credits. Students must complete each course with a grade of B or better in order to receive the certificate. The curriculum is listed below:
- PHS 504: Behavioral Health Intervention Strategies (3 credits) or BB H 504: Behavioral Health Intervention Strategies (3 credits)
- PHS 520 Principles of Biostatistics (3 credits)
- PHS 542: Environmental Health Sciences (3 credits)
- PHS 550: Principles of Epidemiology (3 credits)
- PHS 571: Health Services Organization and Delivery (3 credits) or HPA 520: Intro to US Health Services Organizations and Delivery (3 credits)
Certificate coursework may be transferable to the Penn State Master of Public Health (MPH) graduate degree program. Certificate program students who wish to have their certificate courses transferred towards the Penn State MPH degree must formally apply and be admitted to the Penn State MPH degree program. Admissions as a certificate student neither guarantees nor implies subsequent admission to a degree program.
- Go to the Graduate School application (If you are ready to proceed to the application but have NOT read the Graduate School requirements, please see the Requirements for Graduate Admission).
- Select “Create a New Account” if you do not have a Penn State user ID, or “Login with an Existing Account” if you have a Penn State user ID.
- Log into the application with your user ID.
- Complete the online application, and upload to the application the following items:
- One official transcript from each institution of higher education attended
- Statement of Purpose or Rationale for seeking a Graduate Certificate in Public Health
- Two letters of recommendation
DO NOT SEND THESE ITEMS DIRECTLY TO THE PROGRAM
For Frequently Asked Questions regarding applying to graduate certificate programs at Penn State, please visit the Penn State Graduate School Admissions Frequently Asked Questions page or contact us today!