CNCO

This week I’m going to introduce one more boyband but this group is slightly different than the previous as they sing in a different language, Spanish! Their name is CNCO which is play on the number five in Spanish.

Fig.1. CNCO Twitter, CNCO on twitter

CNCO have already struck major success in Latin America, the Caribbean and Spain, but now they are rapidly gaining an audience here in the U.S.. They have won countless awards such as a Teen Choice Award, Billboard Latin Music Award and a People’s Choice Award. The group is comprised of 5 members each from a different country. Joel Pimentel is Mexican-American, Christopher Velez Munoz is Ecuadorian, Zabdiel Dejesus is Puerto Rican, Richard Camacho is Dominican-American and Erick Brian Colon is Cuban. The pop sensation was formed on a show called La Banda which was a competition where over 10,000 teenage boys auditioned to be in a boyband managed by Ricky Martin. After winning the competition in 2016 their first hit Reggaeton Lento was released and was an instant hit. The song went #1 on 5 charts and has amassed over a billion views.

CNCO has now toured the world with their hit singles and their difficult yet entertaining choreography that effortlessly captures audiences attention. In 2016, CNCO collaborated with Little Mix, a British girl group, on their first Spanglish track. It was a remix of Regaetton Lento and this collaboration allowed them to be introduced to other areas of the world which has helped their success. Spanglish is the mixture of the English and Spanish languages. As a group, they are further exploring Spanglish in their singles De Cero and Pretend. The transition between language is done flawlessly and let me say it makes for an amazing song. Although I am someone who is not fluent in Spanish, I think their music is incredible and anyone who listens will surely agree. They give people all over the world an opportunity to be exposed to and appreciate the incredible Latin culture. Also, many fans have said that since they began to listen to CNCO they started to learn Spanish with the help of their music. This is just one example of the global effect CNCO are having just 3 years into their career.

Their newest EP called Que Quienes Somos set to drop October 11 but the boys just released a new single Ya Tu Sabes (You Already Know) which is already a hit. So what are you waiting for? Go and listen! You won’t regret it.

Fig.2. EW, CNCO EP

1 Comment on CNCO

1. Luci Mahar
    September 6, 2019 at 6:07 pm (5 years ago)

As someone who has been learning Spanish for six years now, I can without a doubt say that Spanish music is a style that never fails to ensure a good time. In high school, I was the secretary of the Spanish Honor Society, traveling near and far to immerse myself in the Spanish culture. On bus rides and at language competitions, we loudly played all sorts of Spanish music. Reggaeton Lento was popular on the set list. I was unfamiliar with the band until now, reading your blog post. I will have to look these guys up and learn more of their songs. The mix of English and Spanish, as you pointed out, is such a fun combination. I’ll keep you updated on how I feel about the rest of their songs!!

Reply