December 2019 archive

Lil Tecca

For my final music blog entry for the semester I am going to talk about a young and growing rap artist named Lil Tecca

“We love you Tecca” this is the easily recognizable phrase at the beginning of every song by new and upcoming artist Lil Tecca. Lil Tecca is a rap artist from Queens, New York who began to come to fame early this year. His real name is quite different from his stage name and it is Tyler Justin Anthony Sharpe.

Fig.1, Lil Tecca, Dreshare

His first song that was a hit is called Ransom, but I have known about him and his music for a little while before this. My best friend Bella showed me his music one day while driving home after school and since then it has remained in my music rotation. The first song that I had heard by him was Love Me, a high energy rap song with a fun beat behind it. I consider it a pop/rap song because it has distinct elements of both genres. Recently, Lil Tecca released his first full length album which is called We Love You Tecca (because of his favorite catchphrase). Overall, I enjoyed the album but some standouts for me were Shots, Count Me Out and Did It Again. Although I did enjoy the album I did find it to be somewhat repetitive just like the online music review website Pitchfork. However, if you want just a fun background music I would recommend this album as it is great for long summer car rides. I should also point out that he may have some of the most interesting music videos. His Ransom video was directed by Cole Bennet, an extremely well-known rap video director/producer. It has millions of views and is quite frankly strange, yet eye-catching!

Fig.2, Lil Tecca, Yahoo

Possibly the thing that I admire the most about Lil Tecca is how young he is. Lil Tecca is a year younger than me and exhibits such a high and intense level of dedication to his music. At only 17 years old, Lil Tecca has been on the American radio multiple times within one year which is highly competitive as well as highly impressive. Tecca describes his early music career, when he was around 16 years old, as “just making some music on the weekends”. So many people aspire to make it big in the music industry or any industry and Lil Tecca is a young person who did just that and inspires others to do the same.