Montauk Lighthouse

Fig.1, Montauk Lighthouse, Wikipedia

The Montauk Lighthouse is staple for for those who visit Long Island or even already live there. The lighthouse is located in Montauk which is in Suffolk county and is known for it’s amazing view of this island. The lighthouse may be closed in winter but during the summer tons of people will flock to the location to enjoy the views on a sunny bright day.

The lighthouse is not just for show as it holds an abundance of history, which is described on the lighthouse website. According to the website, it was built in 1792 which makes the lighthouse over 200 years old! The craziest part is that it was ordered to be built under George Washington, how crazy is that! It was even the first lighthouse to be ever built in the state of New York. Many people (including myself) have no idea about the incredible history and honestly it is a shame. Due to its incredible history, the Montauk Point lighthouse is a certified national landmark. It is hard to believe the structure is that old but it is clear that renovations have been done to protect the lighthouse so future generations can continue to enjoy it.

After you are done visiting the lighthouse there is plenty more to do in Montauk. I know my grandpa loved to go fishing here and because it is a hotspot for fishing, there is an amazing reputation for seafood. I have heard amazing things about the restaurant Lobster Roll. For those who are of age there is even a really cool brewing company to check out. My friend who goes there every year has mentioned to me that you have to get the ice cream there as it is delicious.There are plenty of high end hotels for you to at, so why not spend the weekend? Montauk, for many Long Islanders is the perfect place to get away and relieve some stress as well as spend time with your family. No wonder why it is so popular!

I have something to admit. I have not yet visited this landmark (oops!). However, this summer I am planning a day trip with friends so I can be an official Long Islander. I just have not got around to going and I am the only one out of my friends who hasn’t! I can not wait to visit the Montauk Lighthouse and I will be sure to update you when I finally do!

Fig.2, MTK Lighthouse, MTK website

2 Comments on Montauk Lighthouse

1. Dustin
    February 24, 2020 at 3:29 am (4 years ago)

I have always loved history so historical landmarks always seem to peek my interest. I have visited multiple memories throughout my lifetime and I always find them very interesting. I have to admit though, I have never been to New York, or New Jersey for that matter, so I have never even been close to Long Island. But I do love going on little adventures or vacations with my friends. I may have to visit New York one of these days and I will try my best to see if I can squeeze this little landmark on the list.

Reply
  2. Alexa S. Clayton
    May 5, 2020 at 8:04 am (4 years ago)

I have been to Long Island, but I am not sure I have ever heard of this monument. I liked how you presented the history of the lighthouse and the area with small fun facts. Montauk sounds like a quaint town by the sea. I know that my family would love this place by the sea. My Dad would love to go fishing in the area. My mom and I would be excited to see the Lighthouse and my sisters would be ranting about how good the food was. I thought it was smart how you composed your blog post around the experience of being in Montauk and the lighthouse. I thought that this was a practical approach to writing about a travel experience.

Reply