The Current Situation

The past two weeks have been like something out of a movie. 2 weeks ago I was hanging out in my dorm with friends, going to class and studying. Now, I am taking online classes for the rest of the semester. It is completely insane to me how quickly things change. It reminds me of the movieĀ Contagion, which is about a pandemic and everyday life is completely changed. Of course, COVID-19 is not quite like the disease in the film but still is affecting daily life rather drastically. People are rushing to the stores and stocking up on ridiculous amounts of toilet paper to the point it is annoying. The news has stirred a great sense of panic for many which does not help the situation.

It is insane to me how businesses are closed and most schools. Although I am painfully bored, I know staying in and staying away from others is the right thing to do the rate of spreading. My mom is immunocompromised due to having a kidney transplant about 2 years ago. So she, like many others, would be more at risk if she contracted coronavirus. During this time I have really thought about those coming home from college and not having a stable home life. Whether it is not having enough food or a bad family dynamic this abrupt change is devastating for those struggling. It makes me realize that although this may suck for me, for some others it is a million times worse.

So to pass the time lately, I have been watching Netflix, showering way too much out of boredom and trying to work out (note that I said “trying”). I am really trying to be positive right now as being away from school and my amazing friends is really hard. I am taking this time to make myself better by eating better and getting into a more focused mindset. This semester was mentally draining because I was so busy so now I am trying to better my health in a way.

This is a period of much uncertainty because we really do not know when this virus will slow down and disappear, we all have to just sit and wait it out. The economy seems like it could end up in a recession which is scary to me and I am certain many others. I was so young during the housing crisis that I can not even remember it happening. Overall, I know this will pass like everything does but it really is awful. I just hope people really try and stay in their houses in order to protect those who are the most susceptible