RayannLand (now that sounds fun)

This week I’m reviewing a new type of media. Normally I do movies and books because that’s my main form of entertainment. However, last week I was extremely busy; busy enough that I had no time to watch a movie to review. Before you start to worry, I am reviewing a form of media, just something different than what usually is reviewed on this blog.

In case anyone was worried (I know you weren’t, I’m just giving you all the benefit of the doubt), my week was busy because it was tech week for Austenland. For those who don’t know what tech week is, you’re lucky. Essentially, it is the final week before a show’s opening night. Meaning, it is the most chaotic time when all of the play’s elements have to come together. This process wasn’t too stressful for me because I was just on a crew, but also because of Austenland itself. This is why this week, I’m reviewing the play Austenland, or what I could gather from backstage/peeking through the curtain.

Before I start the review, I would like to clarify a few things. Austenland started out as a book that got made into a movie. Austenland (the movie) then inspired a Penn State student to rewrite Austenland for the stage. Through No Refund Theatre (a super awesome club at Penn State), Austenland became a stage production for three amazing nights in Forum 111.

Okay, now it’s time for the review…

Characters:

If there is one thing about Austenland, it’s that it’s cringey but knows that it’s cringey. So it is no surprise that all of the characters fit this description as well.

The protagonist in Austenland is a girl named Jane. Jane’s main personality trait is that she is absolutely obsessed with all things Jane Austen, including Mr. Darcy.  Jane wants what every book-obsessed person wants, a life like one in the stories. This obsession to have her own Jane Austen story leads her to visit Austenland, spending all her life’s savings in the process.

Jane is a hopeless romantic. She is determined to find her happy ending and is motivated by her emotions. She is very much a cliche rom-com protagonist, but is still a fun character to watch.

While Jane is the main character of the play, the other characters steal the show. Henry Nobley and Martin are hilarious in their constant competition. Elizabeth Charming is a classic Jennifer Coolidge role (meaning absolutely iconic). One of the characters is even played by a puppet. For what reason? I have no clue, but it was amazing.

All the characters from this show are amazing and I love them. They’re stupid, cliche, sometimes annoying, and hilarious.

For characters I give Austenland a 10/10.

Plot:

Austenland has one of those plots that you don’t really know what’s going on at any point. Yet, every second is engaging and highly entertaining. 

Austenland has something for everyone. 

Romance? Yes. 

Book lines straight from Jane Austen? Yes (or something close). 

Attractive people? Yes. 

Humor? Literally the whole thing. 

Plot twists? Yes.

Violence? Acted, but still yes.

Cringey? Heck yeah.

Austenland has a somewhat basic plot of a romantic-comedy, yet the play’s plot is far from basic. It is ‘camp’ and I’m not sure anything will top it.

For plot I give Austenland a 10/10.

Enjoyment:

Now, I may be biased because the cast, crew, and directors were my friends but I loved Austenland. Even when I struggled to move furniture or bruised my knee on flats, I was having a good time listening to the production. Even after the 7th time watching the play, I was sitting backstage laughing hard enough to make my stomach hurt. It was so chaotically good, I wish I could watch it over and over again.

So yes, I enjoyed Austenland and it is one of my favorite productions I have ever been involved in.

For enjoyment I give Austenland a 10/10.

Final Score:

The final score for Austenland is 30/30. I wish you all could’ve gotten the joy to see it because it was truly the best fever dream I have ever witnessed.

While there are no future shows of Austenland there are more shows this semester put on by No Refund Theatre (one I may or may not be in…). To see these shows, go to their instagram page here! Or their tiktok here!

6 thoughts on “RayannLand (now that sounds fun)”

1. Rayann,
    I totally relate to loving a good rom com — whether it’s a play, movie, or book. Something about knowing exactly what’s going to happen, but not the tiny little nuances that make each rom com unique, is so entertaining (for no good reason honestly). As a hopeless romantic myself, I always find myself relating to the main characters and I’m sure Austenland would be no exception. I also think it’s cool that you expanded your blog into a new type of media. I love going to see plays, when I can, and I think they’re a super fun change from the screens that are taking over everything.