My Rant or Review

“My heart is a cold, hard little stone.”

“Now I’m just a lonely guy with outstanding hair, that tells other people who to be, even though I’m not sure who I am.”

“Love is crazy. Love’s the worst.”

Netflix has released its new productions for the upcoming year. I couldn’t help but be excited when I saw Reese Witherspoon and Ashton Kutcher set to star in a new romantic comedy. So of course when Your Place or Mine came out I made my whole family watch it with me over spring break. While my dad may have other thoughts on the movie, I enjoyed it.

So here is yet another review!

Characters:

The two main characters aka the love interests are played by Reese Witherspoon and Ashton Kutcher. This meant I was going to like their characters anyway because of the people playing them. However, even if they were played by different actors, I still would’ve enjoyed both characters.

Debbie Dunn is in every way a typical mom. Yet, this movie puts a more positive spin on being a mom. Normally when parents choose their kids over dreams they get resentful and bitter towards life. Debbie is the opposite. She recognizes that every choice she made is what led her to her situation and she is in full acknowledgment of how it is the best life for her. Debbie’s love for her son, Jack, is one of the best parts of this movie, even if she is a little like a helicopter parent. Debbie is not only an amazing mother but an amazing friend. Overall Debbie is such a positive character. The audience may get annoyed with her, but she is still lovable in every way.

Peter is her love interest for Debbie and is the opposite of her in a lot of ways. Their houses are the most obvious example. Debbie has everything in her house and it is very cluttered. Peter’s house is bare and empty. This dynamic of opposites is so fun to watch because they truly do help the other better themselves. Their character dynamic is another one of the best parts of this movie.

Peter isn’t just in the movie to exist as the love interest and he has his own character traits. Some of them are annoying to watch, like Debbie, but that’s because he is human. These slightly annoying characteristics make Your Place or Mine more realistic. Peter is a quick thinker. He can think himself out of situations, but also into some interesting ones. Peter is just as thoughtful as Debbie, despite his more negative outlook. Peter is extremely caring and just another amazing character.

Debbie and Peter are the main characters, but Your Place or Mine has many good side characters as well. My favorite character was their mutual friend, Alicia. She is just so funny to me. Alicia is fun to watch interacting with both of them and also had a majority of the one-liners. She provided another realistic and funny character dynamic to Your Place or Mine.

Another important side character is Debbie’s son, Jack. Jack is very much a typical young kid, yet his character is not repetitive. I enjoyed Jack’s character in Your Place or Mine. The rest of the side characters all added something to either the romance or the comedy. Each one impacted the story in a new way and made Your Place or Mine a really interesting and fun movie.

For characters, I give Your Place or Mine an 8.5/10.

Plot:

Honestly, I don’t want to spoil anything so I’m going to keep this short. The plot is so much more than a romantic comedy. Yes, that is the main point. But this movie also has a lot more apparent themes than romance. It shows the ups and downs of life and how we don’t need someone to navigate them with us. This movie shows that romance is good, but that being yourself and completing yourself is also good. I always really liked how it showed some things not only take time, but are better when they do.

For plot, I give Your Place or Mine a 9/10.

Enjoyment:

I’m not going to lie, this isn’t my favorite romantic comedy I’ve ever watched. However, 10 Things I Hate About You is almost an impossible standard to reach. Your Place or Mine was enjoyable throughout the entire movie. Its comedic elements were perfect and never distracting from other plot points. The romance was important, but also subtle enough for other themes and messages to be gained from this movie.

This movie was cute. It is one of those movies you can’t help but feel good after watching it. I enjoyed seeing both Reese Witherspoon and Ashton Kutcher in a movie together, especially in this movie.

For enjoyment, I give Your Place or Mine a 9/10.

Final Rating:

The final rating for Your Place or Mine is 26.5/30! I would definitely recommend this movie to anyone who enjoys romantic comedies!

If you would like to learn more, visit their IMDB page!

5 thoughts on “My Rant or Review”

1. ALEXISTOGEL adalah situs slo*t online terbaik dengan permainan s*lot gacor resmi winrate tertinggi setiap hari untuk Anda. Daftar dan Claim Bonus Member Baru 50%, Raih keuntungan sebanyak-banyaknya!ALEXISTOGEL