Advocacy Project and Photo Essay Analysis

Advocacy Project and Audience. 

For my advocacy project, I would like to address either the rise in sexual misconduct at Penn State or the threat of eating disorders to college students. For sexual misconduct, I’d create an infographic to address the increase in sexual assaults and the lack of information released to the student body. After the RCL discussion with OSMPR, it is important that we demand more information pertaining to sexual misconduct on campus. In doing so, after providing relevant evidence, I would call the student body to sign a petition to be sent to OSMPR or the Clery office demanding more visible data releases. For eating disorders, I would create a video aimed at increasing awareness as well as changing the way we talk about food and body.  More specifically, the video would provide data pertaining to how prevalent – and life threatening – eating disorders are, how our words affect those struggling (stop glamorizing “I haven’t eaten today”), and how we can shift the narrative (e.g. “you look great” to “you are great”). This effort would focus on making the audience, college students, more aware of both their actions and words.  

Is the Photographer as Witness: A Portrait of Abuse Ethical? 

I do not believe “A Portrait of Abuse” is a piece of art by any means. To classify it as such would glamorize abuse and dehumanize the trauma that Maggie endured. I do, however, believe that the work can be classified as ethical advocacy. While I didn’t at first, after more analysis, I do believe the photo essay meets the criteria. First, the photographer got the consent of the subject, Maggie. In fact, she explicitly agreed sharing her story would be beneficial to other women in her situation: “Women need to understand this can happen to them. I never thought it could happen to me, but it could” (Lewkowicz). While maybe it was not ethical for the photographer to take photos during the act of violence, the use of the photos is justified. Additionally, exposure to the photos may encourage other women who may be/are victims of abuse to take the necessary precautions to avoid similar situations or encourage them to act/press charges/leave their abusive partnerThe photo essay doesn’t explicitly tell the audience they should leave their abusive partner, it shows the trauma endured by both the mother and her children and leaves the audience up to their own devices as to what next steps to take. The photographer, at the end of the article, cites the Violence Against Women act and thus uses the photo essay to encourage support for federal legislation, extending advocacy for victims of abuse further by encouraging those who have not experienced domestic violence to ensure it doesn’t happen to someone else. 

Rayna Alexander

I am a sophomore majoring in Political Science and African Studies. I hope to pursue work in academic/think tank research, public relations, government, or public policy. I love kayaking, hiking, graphic design, horseback riding, coffee, and PSU. Let's get coffee!

3 Comments

1. I think that both of your advocacy project ideas would work extremely well. It seems that you would have a lot of material to work with especially regarding sexual misconduct. Im interested to see how it does. In regards to the “Portrait of Abuse” photos and writing, I disagree that it isn’t a piece of art. I don’t think art always means glamorization, especially with photography. Oftentimes art can just be a presentation of reality that may previously have not been accessible, especially through photography. Thats just my opinion though and I can see where you are coming from.

2. I think both of your ideas for the advocacy project would work and are both extremely relevant. I especially like the ed one because I agree it’s important to change the lingo used about eating problems. I read the other photo essay so I cannot speak much on the abuse one.

3. Both of your ideas are great, and definitely relevant choices considering our age group. The fact that you were inspired by a discussion to ignite change regarding sexual assault is awesome! It is definitely an issue here at PSU. As for the photo essay, I agree completely with you. It feels wrong to consider this a piece of art, almost as if you are forgoing the true intent behind the photos.