PAS 5: Vampire Weekend Every Weekend

PAS Series: In this Passion blog series, I will be broadcasting my top eight artist(s) that influenced the way I play and write music. As a music theory appreciator, I enjoy playing in my band and writing musical pieces. I want to appreciate the artist(s) that helped inspire my musical hobbies by ranking them in a series of blog posts. Each post, I will feature an artist/band that helps me craft my style. Stay tuned to each post to see who is at number one! 

Despite their menacing name, Vampire Weekend is a very soft pop-rock band. Vampire Weekend was formed in 2006 by music prodigy Ezra Koenig. Koenig is the head of the band, but Chris Tompson, Chris Bao, and Rostam Batmanglij help play his music. I first listened to Vampire Weekend as a child. Their catchy music and unique style drew me in.

My favorite Vampire Weekend song is without a doubt “Oxford Comma”. This instant classic does an amazing job of using simple instrument riffs to create a masterpiece. I first heard this song in my junior year of high school. I never got around to this popular Vampire Weekend song until I began my alternate music journey. This song is a mix of soft pop and rock. When I heard it for the first time, “Oxford Comma” sounded like a blend of all other brackets of Vampire Weekend. “Oxford Comma” features a great hook and vocals. “Oxford Comma” is engrained in my head because of its swagger.

My favorite Vampire Weekend album is Vampire Weekend. This was the band’s first studio album released in 2008. “Vampire Weekend” is arguably the best debut album created by a band. This album was a wild success when it was released in 2008. This album had several major hits such as “A-Punk” and “Campus”. The album does an amazing job of making songs within the same genre sound extremely diverse. Each Vampire Weekend album has a diverse sound. This album utilizes very simple instruments to make short loops. These loops when combined create amazing songs that own the soft indie genre.

In my own music, I often try to replicate Vampire Weekends style. Their style doesn’t sound complicated, however, it’s in their many simple loops that their musical syntax is achieved. I have had success so far in creating these small loops. Not everyone can be musical geniuses like Koenig however. What makes his music so successful is the technique in which he combines these loops together. Koenig’s music theory is elite. I will have to become more experienced in music theory to produce one of his most basic songs.

If you haven’t listed to Vampire Weekend by now you’re missing out. Vampire Weekend is a very easy ban to like. If you’re a fan of pop or rock, Vampire Weekend is the best of both worlds. Their swagger style is perfect for doing homework or having fun at a party.

Vampire Weekend Successfully Reinvented Who They Are | GQ

One thought on “PAS 5: Vampire Weekend Every Weekend

1. Vampire Weekend definitely seems like a band I would enjoy listening to. I think it is very commendable that this band produces music in a genre like soft pop-rock and there music still has the versatility to adapt to different environments and emotions of the audience, like you mentioned. I also think it’s really interesting how the musical syntax of this band is simple yet incredibly unique and therefore hard to replicate. I will surely give it a listen.