“It’s ok to double dip!” – Fact or Fiction?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWuSi00CcNk&feature=youtu.be

(Just a side note, I’m really angry I can’t figure out how to embed videos…but it’s a clip from Seinfeld so you should probably watch it.)

Like George Costanza, I’ll admit, I’ve doubled dipped on more than one occasion – usually when no one’s looking (or so I hope).  Sometimes you just get a chip that’s so big, one dip is not enough!!  Unfortunately when you feel the urge to double dip, there’s always that person, like the guy in the Seinfeld clip, that gets so fussy over the alleged spread of germs that happens the instant the already-bit chip hits the dip a second time.  Are their worries warranted?

According to a study conducted by researchers at Clemson University in 2009, they are.  The study found that “bacterial population of food dips increased due to the practice of ‘double-dipping,’” and that bacteria was transferred more rapidly when salsa was the dip of choice, as opposed to a chocolate or cheese option.

The study compares double dipping to hand washing.  In order to prevent the spread of germs, and ultimately the spread of contact viruses, you need to wash your hands regularly throughout the day.  Now, just because you should wash your hands, doesn’t mean that everybody does, and there’s no policy in place to enforce that (nor will there ever be).  The same is true about double dipping.  By re-dipping a chip, you are ultimately transferring the germs in your mouth to the content of the dip, and then picking up any germs already present (either naturally occurring or from other double dippers) and sticking them in your mouth.  If people stopped doing it, there would be a lesser transfer of germs among chip dippers, but there’s no policy in place to guarantee that will happen.  It’s a bad habit that many (including me!) have fallen into, but not one that’s so hard to break.  Basically, you just have to stop doing it, problem solved!  If you anticipate that your chip of choice is too big for just one dip, break it in half before you go at it and save everyone else a lot of trouble.

Tags: , , ,

7 comments

1. Hey Sam! I know you’re not in my blog group but when I saw this blog I simply had to comment.
    The thought of people double dipping in bowls of salsa or other dips really freaks me out. My entire life I’ve been a huge germaphobe, and so sometimes I even go so far as to avoid dips because I know that people have, more likely than not, double dipped. The thought of so many unknown people’s germs in a bowl of dip is my worst nightmare!
    That being said, I think it’s more appropriate or acceptable if you’re with family or close friends – the kinds of people you might share drinks or utensils with anyways. Other than that, I don’t think it’t ok!

2. I never thought about this! I always double dip without even thinking that I could spread germs or get sick from this simple act! I’ll definitely try to avoid it now that I know a lot of germs can be transferred through double dipping!

3. Samar Almarzooqi

Double dipping it a mindless and dangerous habit, one I admit I sometimes practice without even thinking. I agree, sometimes the chip or vegetable is too big for only one dip. When I am aware of others watching me, I turn the chip around and then dip the other, unbitten side. This seems to work, but it is definitely more messy than simply dipping again, It does gross me out when I see people double dipping, but I never want to come off as a germaphobe and ask someone to stop double dipping. I guess I’ll let it slide when it is with cheese or chocolate though!

4. Yeah… I am one of those people who hates (!) when someone double dips. I’m not nearly as bad as I used to be concerning germs, but yeah… I hate it. I do not ever double dip unless it is with my own dip that only I use. I also usually will not eat the dip after someone has double dipped into it. Ughhhh, I know that makes me sound annoying, but it is frustrating to me and I will do all that I can to prevent getting germs in these simple ways.

5. homestuck

“It’s ok to double dip!” – Fact or Fiction? | Fact or Fiction?

6. sony vegas pro 9 authentication code

7. aphorism examples in the pearl