All Things Bows

Greetings fellow readers! 

For this week’s blog, I will be talking about bows. 

Premium Vector | Cartoon cute gift bows with ribbons color butterfly tie

(Image from freepik.com)

I know it may sound very mundane and boring at first, but Bows have made one of the grandest fashion comebacks this past year. Though they are trending heavily on TikTok, bow wearers have also gained much of their inspiration from apps such as Pinterest and Instagram. 

Today Pinterest Ads arrives in Mexico. We tell you how to use them to  advertise

(Image from ctpost.com)

As of late, I have seen bows on literally everything. From water bottles, to sweaters, to eyeliner art, they have made such an estranged, yet strong presence in the trending fashion movements of today. But no complaints are being shed here because I for one think they are so cute. They are the perfect design addition to many things; they are simple, yet powerfully elegant. I think one of the main reasons why I enjoy this trend of bow-wearing so much is because of their sufficient feel of femininity. Femininity, in the modern day, has, in a sense, been looked down upon. It’s become the butt of many jokes and fetishized by many for its innocent aura. Not only has it impacted many women, but many men have been subject to entrapment in the loophole of toxic masculinity. However, that hasn’t stopped many of the prominent influencers of today from bringing bows back out of the ancient fashion cookbooks. 

The evolution of Feminism. The term feminism is used to describe a… | by  Archit Singh | Knowledge Brewery | Medium

(Image from medium.com)

All types of clothing pieces can wear a bow nicely. We see them on sweaters, used as “belts” wrapped around jeans, layered on dresses, or simply on the laces of our shoes. They take many forms, either imprinted or physically sewn onto these fabrics. Stereotypically, when one thinks of bows, they may envision pastel or silky products, however, they have become abstract. People wear bows made from crochet, in colors such as green or black, or be-dazzled versions attached to fancier attire. 

It's Official: Black Neck Bows Are the New Chokers | Glamour

(Image from glamour.com)

Furthermore, we have seen an increase in the use of bows in accessories. Many have dressed up their looks by wrapping bows in their hair, around styles such as braids or ponytails. People add them to their reusable water bottles, shoelaces, or even the zippers on their backpacks. 

Fashion's Bow Obsession Is Spilling Over Into Beauty - Fashionista

(Image from fashionista.com)

*Side Note: Butter has even taken the form of bows on slices of toast*

They have been seen on many modern handbags, phone cases, as well as on jewelry. Chokers and other forms of necklaces love to celebrate this new look. It has been coined along with the fashion term “coquette” – defined as embracing all things traditionally “girly.” 

Your complete guide to the coquette aesthetic - GirlsLife

(Image from girlslife.com)

Fashion trends such as “Ballet Core” have come about on the platform of TikTok; it shares its love of bows as well as femininity and gracefulness. The trend is full of all things gentle; pastel colors, layering, soft fabrics, ballet flats, and minimalism. 

Balletcore: The Dance-Inspired Fashion Trend That'll Have Your Style On  Pointe - Blogilates

(Image from blogilates.com)

Overall, the aesthetic of bows, although seemingly feminine, can be embraced by all who favor it. Although they do not stand as a full-blown fashion trend, like “Y2K” or “Soft Luxury”, they share the potential to implement roots for future trends in the making.

Cute Pink Bow Aesthetic Soft Kawaii Pixel Art Pixelart - Aesthetic Pixel  Art Png PNG Image | Transparent PNG Free Download on SeekPNG

(Image from seekpng.com)

All it takes are a few pieces of ribbon and a yearning for that sense of style change. 

2 thoughts on “All Things Bows”

1. I never realized the implications of bows as regaining femininity. But, when I think back to my high school, bows began to lose prevalence around 10th grade or so. Perhaps I unconsciously witnessed the stigmatizing of bows. Either way, I enjoyed the subtle shift from a style to a culturally significant clothing piece.

2. It’s so crazy how fashion trends can be almost extinct for years, then burst right back into the main stream. I really liked how you went more into depth and talked about what bows represent, it was a nice addition.