Woodstock 1969

For this week’s blog I am going to talk about the most famous music event of all history.  In 1969, Woodstock took place at a farm outside of White Lake, New York. What was originally supposed to be a 3day concert for 50,000 people became a 4day free concert for half a million people! Who would have imagined that a concert could have been so significant and that so many people would have showed up? The traffic was so insane, that people would park their cars on the highway and just walk to the festival. Artists were flown in by helicopters into the festival since there was no way to get them inside. Fences were torn down all over so it was useless to charge anyone for the concert. Originally there was going to be a ticket booth at the front but since the owners had to switch locations last minute they were not able to finish the ticket booth on time. Therefore hundreds of thousands of people just came right in. Artists like Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Santana, The Who, The Grateful Dead, and Jefferson Airplane just  to name a few performed at Woodstock. If I could get a time machine I would really want to go back in time and experience such an awesome event. Some of these artists, we would never be able to see play live again so it must have been such a privilege to see them perform at Woodstock.  After the event, psychedelic music became even more popular and many artists were influenced even until today.  Despite the fact that there was a lot of sex and drugs, the concert promoted peace between individuals. The whole purpose of the show was to gather around and listen to music for 3 days (which turned out to be 4 days) in peace and harmony with everyone. It succeeded in that aspect and it influenced many artists in the music industry.  However the owners of the event were over a million dollars in debt after the show but the documentary WoodStock was such a hit that it covered the majority of their debt.  I do recommend anyone watching the documentary if your into that sort of stuff like I am! It has a lot of real footage from the festival and even interviews from some of the artists and audience.
Below is a picture from Woodstock, just showing the tons of people that showed up to this event.
Woodstock3

This entry was posted in passion. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Woodstock 1969

1. Lola Joda says:

I’ve always said that if I could go back in time, I’d go to Woodstock. It seems like something that if you were alive for it, there’s reason for you to miss it. It was legendary to say the least. I think I was born in the wrong generation cause it kills me that I missed the opportunity to see Jimmy Hendricks, The Who, Grateful Dead and Janis Joplin.

2. Eli Sheintoch says:

Don’t really know how sex and drugs go against peace lol. My great uncle went to Woodstock, having been a pretty big hippie (he lived in a tipi for two years), though for some reason he never talks about his experience at it… Good post.

3. Betsy Wermuth says:

Wow, what a cool story! I never really understood what Woodstock was, I’ve just heard of the sex and drugs part!! This is such a unique blog post, I’m really glad I got to read it. I’m definately interested in the Woodstock documentary now! Now that our world has become so rigid in so many ways, I wonder if anything like this would every be possible to occur again in coming years. Great job!