Revolts

Most people recognize the term “flower power” from the 1960s when hippies chose to make a stand and protest against the government. There were actually a couple riots taken place at Berkeley, some were for freedom of speech and towards the civil rights movement.  One of the most famous protest at Berkeley was the one against the war in Vietnam. Many college students found it unfair that their soldiers had to go fight in a foreign country they had no business in going.  Unfortunately it was quite a tragedy because cops ended up shooting some of the students at Berkeley. Another shooting that occurred due to a protest was at Kent State University. Many students were protesting against the Cambodian Campaign but once again the national guard interfered and shot a few innocent students. However to this day I still admire how they all got together to make a stand and try to change the what the corrupt norms of the government were. I also respect their courage to get up and fight for what they believe in. I think they truly did influence many generations after them and reminded us about our freedom of speech and they each individual can make a difference if they tried to. It also showed how united college students can be in order to defend themselves.

This entry was posted in passion. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Revolts

1. Betsy Wermuth says:

I know the protest at Kent State was a huge national even that was symbolic in so many ways for the American communities. The Kent State shootings as well as those at Berkeley are so tragic, it’s unbelieveable that even one life of a young advocate was lost just because of police brutality. It is also a shame how the soldiers of Vietnam war don’t have nearly the same respect as those who have fought in other wars, such as the current one in Iraq.