Wind Power

Wind is a renewable resource that can be used to provide power, mainly electricity. Wind turbines use their blades to collect the wind’s kinetic energy. Wind flows over the blades, which creates lift and allows the blades to turn.1 The blades are connected to a drive shaft, and the drive shaft turns an electric generator to produce electricity.

1How a Wind Turbine Works

1How a Wind Turbine Works

Historically, wind power has accounted for a small percentage of energy production, however the amount of electricity generated by wind has increased significantly in recent years; electricity generation from wind has increased from around 6 billion kilowatt-hours in 2000 to around 140 billion kilowatt-hours in 2012. 1 New technology that decreased the cost of generating electricity from wind, tax breaks, and green pricing programs all helped increase the use of wind power. 1 Despite the increases however, in 2012, wind turbines only generated about 3% of the total electricity generated in the United States in that year.1

1WInd turbines

1WInd turbines

Like any source of energy, there are benefits and drawbacks to using wind power. Wind is a clean source of energy and has fewer environmental consequences than many other sources of power. Wind turbines usually do not release pollutants into the air or water and do not need water for cooling.1 They many reduce the need for fossil fuels, reducing air pollution, carbon dioxide emissions, and water use. In addition, many wind farms are located on farm, grazing, and forest lands, allowing farmers and rancher to stay in business and prevented the land from being developed for other purposes.1

However, there are also negatives to using wind power. Though wind is renewable, it is not always available. When wind is not blowing sufficiently, wind turbines will not turn and electricity will not be generated. In addition, competition from other industries generating electricity prevents wind energy from supplying a major portion of the United State’s energy needs. In 2008 and 2009, the wind industry employed around 85,000 people in the United States, according to the American Wind Energy Association.2 However, around 10,000 of those jobs have disappeared because of low demand, competition from natural gas, and competition from Asia.2 Chinese manufacturers can produce wind turbines cheaply because of state subsidies can easily outcompete American manufacturers.2 In addition, some people find wind turbines unappealing aesthetically, especially large wind farms with rows upon rows of turbines. Wind turbines can be loud, so people living in the area might not enjoy the sounds they make. They also can negatively impact the environment, killing many birds per year. When birds migrate, they try to fly at lower altitudes to conserve energy and will collide with human-made structures. Many bird species are already in decline and as the number of wind farms increase, the number of birds dying from collisions with wind turbines will also increase. Bats can also die from crashing into wind turbines. In addition, roads often have to be built when wind plants are built, adding to their environmental impact. Making wind turbines uses metals and other materials that are produced using fossil fuels, furthering the environmental impact.

1http://www.eia.gov/kids/energy.cfm?page=wind_home-basics-k.cfm
2http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/21/business/energy-environment/as-a-tax-credit-wanes-jobs-vanish-in-wind-power-industry.html?pagewanted=2&_r=0&ref=windpower

5 responses to “Wind Power

1. Wind power will never become the US’s primary source of electricity; wind isn’t that spread out and strong consistently. However, it can be used as a complementary power source, like if you put wind turbines next to a hydroelectric plant. They could also be used to generate the electricity needed for electrolysis, the process by which hydrogen and oxygen are split from water, and the hydrogen in turn can be used in fuel cells. They also have potential as back up generators.

2. Jessica Henry

While I see that there are some drawbacks to wind powered energy, I think that it is a good alternative to help wean Americans off of the widespread use of nonrenewable resources. I think that we need to monitor wind patterns more and create more wind turbines in these areas so that maybe one road can lead to all of the wind turbines. Also, I think that the metal used for these wind turbines can overall be a less environmentally impactful thing that constant use of fossil fuels for energy.

3. Jules Dupont

A couple of years ago, I worked at a company that sold software for modeling radar (the kind used by airports). We actually had a lot of problems with wind turbines, because wind farms can have an immense distortion on radar readings. As a result, it’s very hard to get permits to build wind turbines near airports or military bases. Of course, that’s not a major argument against wind power, but I always find it interesting how issues like these can present problems that the average person would never think of.

4. Well I didn’t know about the issue of birds and bats crashing into the turbines, but I do know that it does take a lot of resources to build the turbines, although presumably not nearly as many as they are saving. And it certainly isn’t a source anyone can use because of the limitations of how wind isn’t always blowing everywhere, but if people start using it more where it is practical, it will be a good stride in the right direction.

5. I am once again bowled over by your knowledge of renewable energy. For example, I had no idea that wind caused wind turbine planes to rotate until I read the first paragraph of this post. You learn something new every day!

I would like to note, however, that in the third paragraph you write that wind power “many reduce the need for fossil fuels.” Perhaps you mean “may” instead of “many”? Otherwise, I look forward to reading whatever else you post, because it is always interesting and well-written!