Rhetorical Analysis Essay Draft

While some may think that the Confederate Flag in comparison to the pride flag is of equal value, I believe they are very wrong. People will claim “southern pride” but is that what this flag really represents? Or is there more to it?

The significance of the flags historical background is not to be ignored. The ideals founded in congruence with the emergence of this flag are that of racism, slavery, segregation, and white supremacy- nothing to be prideful about at all. These antiquated commonplaces are not as extinct as you may believe, and yes people do express pride about inhabiting them.

-Charlottesville white supremacist rally: KKK and other racist beliefs, flag was displayed very promptly and “proudly”

-Charleston church shooting, brought up the protesting of the display of the flag at South Carolina’s capitol building

Logos: it seems that people who display the flag with “pride” have one of two arguments. Either “learn your history” about the confederacy and why it wasn’t “all bad,” or the confederate flag doesn’t represent racism, it represents southern pride.

-neither argument has any source of logic justifying the “good” of the confederacy of the flag

-the confederacy WAS bad, for the reasons I mentioned above

-“southern pride” does nothing other than promote more segregation and lack of unity within the country. Southern pride should just be American pride

-Pathos: the emotions one feels when looking at this flag can vary. For most, it’s offensive, it reminds us of a time of hatred and bigotry, and a far from ideal society

-Ethos: many credited historians could tell you that the civil war was in fact fought on the ideals of slavery and the south’s fight to keep it instituted. On this basis, the flag (which represents the confederacy) does call for racism and therefor hatred.

-People have argued that the pride flag is the new confederate flag meaning that it is a symbol of a representation of a group of people that exclude others who do not agree. The pride flag does the opposite. It includes a group of people formerly oppressed to have a sense of belonging society.

-(Like in my speech) Though it is our civic duty to express our opinions, it is also our civic duty to spread positivity, equality, and peace. This flag does not represent those ideals. Everything it represents only regresses our societal standings and shows us whats wrong with our country.

One thought on “Rhetorical Analysis Essay Draft”

1. I like the idea behind your essay. The two items relate to similar topics nicely. One thing I would try to do is use the LGBTQ flag as an example for what is wrong with the confederate flag. I look forward to seeing what you do with this.