post

CI: School Lunches

Michelle Obama. Michelle Obama is the lady to blame for the tasteless, so-called healthy cafeteria food. Throughout my high school career, I had the pleasure (Yes, “pleasure”) of seeing all kinds of food go into and out of my high school cafeteria. We went from having a past bar every Thursday, to having none. They took away the white bread. How could they do that? Wheat bread is nowhere similar to white bread. I didn’t really mind this since I don’t even eat bread, but the rants and venting I heard all over the school certainly sufficed. However, the school did offer more food options, since the healthy cafeteria food was just starting to come into play. Furthermore, the school also got rid of all fried foods, including fries and tenders, which is a teenager favorite. In addition—yes there is still more—the school also got rid of all sugary drinks like strawberry milk and added sugar-free drinks left and right. What the heck am I eating if it’s not white bread or a mere strawberry milk? On the bright side, I don’t have to deal with any of that nonsense, but most people do all over the country. This is an epidemic since there are schools everywhere changing their menus. I believe the real solution to the overwhelming obesity problem in the US would be to bring healthier, more appetizing lunches to the school. Sure, most people might prefer fried chicken tenders, but there is always a healthy alternative to this which would be to lightly coat the chicken with the Panko breadcrumbs (an alternative to regular breadcrumbs; these are a light, crunchy Japanese-style coating) and simply bake them. It’s not that hard and time is probably saved. There are thousands of solutions the school lunch problems that schools need to take in order for there to be a more effective outcome. Teenagers will probably eat anything that looks and smells good, but if there is wheat bread and lunch ladies forcing the students to eat healthier, there might not be a great ending.

The battle with food is everywhere. It is up to the citizens of this country, and all countries, to better the overall situation.

Comments

1. The way it was at my school was that they kept a lot of the unhealthy food, they just made it more expensive. However the cheaper options were not exactly appetizing so we ended up having to pay more. Perhaps the solution would be to end the practice of double lunches or reducing the snack bar a bit. In the end it was all about money anyway, so cutting these costs would actually be beneficial in the long run.

2. Alexander Gawn says:

I don’t know when these changes started, but I did experience quite an amount of change in my cafeteria lunches in high school. Whenever this happened people were up in arms but kept going their own way. The issue with our lunches was that we had healthy alternatives but they didn’t fit into the prepaid plan and therefore, students were stuck with the unhealthy things even if they wanted to eat healthier. So they should have accessible lunches of a health variety to appeal to everyone! Let the students make their own choices. This is AMERICA!!!!

3. Adam Uliana says:

They changed a ton about my high school’s cafeteria lunches, and I was definitely opposed to it all initially. I thought all of the food tasted like cardboard at first, but after awhile, as you said in your blog, food is food and we all just ended up eating whatever looked and smelled good enough. I guess we are always just uneasy about change, but changing to healthier food could turn out to be not so bad.

4. Alex Conti says:

Cafeteria food has always been notoriously, well, terrible. Really, the only good things were the frozen chicken patties that they microwaved and fed to us everyday. You mentioned how cruddy the food was in your post, so the alternative really is to offer tastier, healthier options. Good work on this post.

5. Natalia Ruggiero says:

I LOVE WHEAT BREAD and Michelle Obama, but I can see your point. Yes, there are different alternatives to healthy, tasty cafeteria food. BUT, it will most likely cost the schools more to make it. Yay for healthy eating!

Trackbacks

1. billiards game definition

CI: School Lunches

2. dumpster rental in baldwin mi

CI: School Lunches

Speak Your Mind