Spring Passion Blog Entry #1: Kayaking

I suddenly hear acrylic shatter as I’m unloading the trunk of my father’s vehicle in the dirt parking lot for the boat launch. Before I even look to see what had broken, I’m nearly certain it was the taillight of the 2012 Toyota Sequoia. I exhale deeply and look to see that the taillight is in fact shattered. This isn’t the way I intended for my excursion to go. Was it even worth it to haul these boats all the way out here?

Yes, very much so. That day of kayaking actually turned into one of my absolute favorites. Kayaking is one of the several ways in which I enjoy nature.

I remember learning to kayak when I was very young at my aunt’s lake near my home. Growing up, I wasn’t the most athletic person, but I did take kindly to kayaking for whatever reason. Perhaps I liked it because it didn’t require much of an effort to move pretty far at a decent speed. At the lake, I’d paddle hard for a little bit then take a moment to behold the scenery as I glided along. My aunt’s neighbors had some beautiful lakeside homes that I would enjoy looking at. At the end of her lake was a dam, which led to a short woodland path. I took great joy in disembarking from my boat, pulling it up onto shore, and exploring the dam area for a little bit. The whole experience is very nostalgic to me now.

As I mentioned in my This I Believe speech, I didn’t really go outside much in my youth unless I was promoted by adults. So, I didn’t kayak very often as a kid. I saw it more as something to do when I became bored at family events held by my aunt at the lake house. After I’d come around to embracing the outdoors, I started kayaking pretty consistently.

What I like most about kayaking is that it’s very accessible to all, making it easy to take either family or friends along. One time, my father, my brother and I set out to kayak in a windy river that my father knew of from his hunting days. I was skeptical at first of whether the trip would be cool or lame, but I was thoroughly impressed by it. Hauling the kayaks from the car down the river bank to the water then back up afterwards was a big hassle, but the river was moving fast that day and the speed had my adrenaline pumping. It was awesome bonding time with my family.

As for the time that I broke my father’s taillight, I’d gone to the State Park with two of my closest friends and was extremely excited until that mistake happened. I decided not let that small, fixable error ruin my mood. My friends and I spent hours on the lake, cracking wise and telling stories. Though we arrived at the lake basically right after lunchtime, we left only when the sky went dark.

Was the broken taillight inconvenient and annoying. Of course. Would I hesitate about lugging my kayaks around in a car because of it? No way, I would do it again tomorrow.

Spring 2023 RCL blog entry #2

I’ve landed on a topic for my passion blog that I’ll be using throughout this semester. I decided that what I’m most passionate about is outdoor activity, so I’ll be posting about the variety of ways in which I enjoy nature. These include (but are not limited to) hiking, kayaking, skiing, hammocking, picnicking, and walking my dogs. I imagine it will not be difficult for me to dive into this topic, considering I probably would be discussing my love for the outdoors with my friends and family anyway.

In other news, I’ve also landed on a topic for my civic issue blog. Because sustainability is important to me, I have chosen to write about environmentalism. While that is a very broad topic, I intend to narrow it down to more specific issues such as the sustainability of different energy sources, the effects of pollution, and how we can act against it. This topic hits very close to home for me (literally) because I live in a former coal mining town and an area rich with shale, so I witness this issue firsthand frequently.

I’m extremely excited to tackle both of these topics throughout this semester, and I hope you all are excited to read what I have to post. Below is the rough outline for my This I Believe Speech.

1. Introduction
  2. Attention getter – in medias res (?): water trickling below me as I nap in a hammock
  3. Context/ethos – I’ve lived near a state park my whole life
  4. Didn’t recognize its value until I grew older
  5. (Not sure whether I’ll include or not) travel? Explored nature abroad
  6. Thesis – I believe in the value of exposing oneself to/immersing oneself in nature
  7. I used to believe in hanging out indoors
  8. Preview – explain how Covid turned me from an indoor person to an outdoor person

1. Body – conversion
  2. I used to prefer being indoors to being outdoors
  3. My favorite activities were Legos and Wii as a kid
  4. I would go outside with my friends to play, but only when prompted by adults
  • I was enrolled in nature camps but never found them interesting
  1. In middle and high school, I played Xbox somewhat excessively
  2. I was in need of a healthier hobby than gaming
  3. I was a cross country runner, but I would finish practice and return to online

[Transition to belief]

• When Covid forced the world to spend time indoors, I quickly grew tired of Fortnite and

Snapchat and searched for a new hobby

I turned to the State Park that’d been a five minute drive away from my house all along

My friends and I would hike, hammock, and kayak after classes

1. I take advantage of every opportunity to spend time outside nowadays
  2. I grew to love the State Park quickly after giving it a try
  3. I mostly hike there, but I also kayak and hammock depending on my mood
  • I see nature as either exhilarating or soothing, but always restorative
  1. I hiked almost everyday of both thanksgiving and Christmas break
  2. I realized the outdoors expands beyond the confines of the State Park
  3. I’m working on incorporating the outdoors into my life at Penn State

[Signal conclusion]

• I couldn’t be happier to have discovered the positive effects and value of the outdoors in my life

• Conclusion
  1. Summarize main points – I used to spend my time on a gaming console or scrolling through social media, but now I itch to hike my favorite trails
  2. Restate thesis – I failed to recognize the value of the outdoors when I was younger, but through lockdown the outdoors became an essential part of my lifestyle
  3. Memorable conclusion – I sometimes think back to the nature camps my parents forced me to attend as a kid

Today, I would do anything to spend a day adventuring around the woods, turning over cool looking stones, and catching crawfish in a stream

Spring 2023 RCL Blog entry #1

“There Is No Such Thing as Too Much Barbecue,” restaurant critic Jason Sheehan’s submission to This I Believe, was an outstanding starting point for my brainstorming of a topic. I do not intend to deliver a speech about food, but the passion with which he speaks and the vivid imagery he uses inspired me. I thought to myself, what do I believe in as strongly as Sheehan believes in barbecue?

My mind went straight to my favorite hobby, hiking. Before I ever knew I would be preparing a “This I Believe” speech, I expressed to my peers here at Penn State that I constantly dream of the outdoors, especially when I am buried under a pile of schoolwork. I grew up in Northeast Pennsylvania with the Lackawanna State Park practically in my backyard, but I have also hiked in the Andes Mountains, on the Galápagos Islands, and even in Antarctica. It was at the height of the Covid-19 pandemic that I discovered my love for navigating woodland trails. Ever since then, I hike almost every day when I am at home. I believe that immersing oneself in nature is therapeutic, humbling, and refreshing and that everyone would benefit from more fresh air and physical activity.

An alternative topic for my speech is fitness generally. When I am blessed with a day free of responsibility, I typically work out for about three hours. My favorite exercises are running and lifting, and I will often do both in one day. I believe that to be fit makes managing responsibilities and emotions significantly easier.

As for my Passion Blog, I could possibly write about the different ways in which I appreciate nature. I have already shared with you my passion for hiking, but I ski, hammock, and kayak as well. Nature can be either exhilarating or soothing, but it is nearly always restorative. Alternatively, I could discuss my favorite foods in my Passion Blog. I identify as a very adventurous eater. Having traveled to all seven continents and several different countries, I have come to embrace opportunities to leave my comfort zone regarding my diet. However, I also enjoy foods that are not even slightly exotic, like a Wendy’s Baconator or a Stack from Moe’s Southwestern Grill.

For my Civic Issues Blog, something I feel very passionate about is environmentalism. I live not too far from a landfill at home, and I have developed a resentment towards it. Additionally, Pennsylvania is home to the Marcellus Shale Reserve, which is extremely relevant to the fracking debate. I take sustainability very seriously in my own community as well as the world at large. Another topic for this blog could be the funding of public schools. It bothers me greatly that not all students have the same education opportunities because wealth disparity limits some.