RSS Feed

some paradigm shift examples

October 25, 2013 by Adam Haley   

Lastly, here’s one more example from RCL’s own Jessica O’Hara, who has posted a link to an essay she wrote for an edited volume on the philosophy of horror.  The essay is entitled “Making Their Presence Known:  TV’s Ghost-Hunter Phenomenon in a ‘Post-‘ World,” and you can find it on Google Books here.  She calls particular attention to the “Spectres of 9/11” section, near the end of the essay, as an example of paradigm shift argumentation.  Here’s Jessica talking about the development of the essay:

When I developed this essay, at first, all I knew was that I wanted to write on ghost-hunter shows because I liked them and the Paranormal State people were local.  The section about 9/11 came out of my realization that the structure of ghost-hunter shows mimicked HGTV home-improvement shows. Once I made that connection, which amused me, I started to wonder why both genres of shows appeared this past decade. Then I connected their rise to the rhetoric of home improvement, which imagines the home as a “sanctuary.” Why does the home need to be a sanctuary? I thought about this question in relation to 9/11, the emergent dread of public spaces, and the decline in organized religion.

»

You must be logged in to post a comment.