Why Are Vacations Necessary?

As we prepare for spring break many of us are taking midterms, writing papers and tying up loose ends before being off for a week. While most people find comfort in routine, stagnation in activity can lead to less productivity in the workplace and lowers overall satisfaction in life. Being a college student, going on a vacation IS going home and hibernating in bed for a week, but for the rest of the world vacation plays an important role in day to day life.

Whether it be laying on the beach, going skiing, or sightseeing in a new city, vacation provides the mental break that is necessary to be happy and healthy. 🙂21664-Palm-Trees-At-The-Beachtumblr_nlf96jcyiG1qll5dxo1_500

One of the main reasons for vacationing is rest and relaxation, working hard means nothing if there is no end goal. I know nothing gets me through a long week knowing I have fun plans for the weekend. Even a weekend getaway or some kind of trip is enough of an escape to keep people sane at work.

Another big part of vacationing that most people don’t usually think about is bonding with the people you are traveling with. From a sociological point of view bonding with the people you are around all the time (rather than simply coexisting) makes a group stronger and society more successful as a whole. This is the core of family vacations (see previous blog for more about family vacations). Most families are busy, constantly on the go with little downtime to enjoy themselves with each other. Getting away from school and work is an ideal time to rekindle the close relationships people have with their families.

Even if the intention of a vacation is to decompress and relax, many people become rejuvenated and inspired. Your brain has the opportunity to recharge, and in taking care of yourself helps to spread kindness to others.

Do yourself a favor! Make this spring break a vacation. Link for inspiration below.

http://www.cengagebrain.com/blog/2015/04/top-10-summer-vacation-ideas-for-the-broke-college-student/

6 Comments

1. Andy Murtha

I definitely don’t view vacations as lazy. I see them as a very necessary way to allow our minds to relax and recoup. I really like the point you made about end goals; I know that it is more difficult for me to work hard when there is only more work ahead.

2. Emily C Snell

I’m going to Florida and I’m actually so excited and keep telling myself that I need this! After all of these straight weeks of the semester, I truly do need rest and relaxation. My brain needs time off! Awesome post, especially right before spring break!

3. Jessica Lu Rosenau

I agree with your support for the need for vacation so much. Now, halfway through the semester, there is nothing more that my body and brain need than a break from all of the school and the stress. I agree that I have bonded more with my family and friends over vacations rather than in the time that I spend with them on a day-to-day basis just because I am around them nonstop for an extended period of time. I can’t wait for tomorrow and I will definitely look at your link to things to do over break!!

4. Krista Grennan

I enjoyed your sociological view on the need for vacations. They can actually increase a society’s/workplace’s productivity. They are necessary for a worker to produce at the highest rate possible. Europe has acknowledged this fact and many companies there offer a month or more of paid vacation time. In the United States, it is looked down upon to take all of your unpaid vacation time. I think that this is a sign that we need to push for social change in our society and advocate for extended and paid vacation time for the sake of people’s health and productivity.

5. Clare Mchugh

Everything in this post is so accurate. I cannot wait to go home and just relax and spend time with my family. I also loved looking at the link with the best vacation ideas for the broke college student. I will definitely look them over when I need some inspiration!

6. Dillon

I recently got back from the Florida Keys, and basically all of what you said in your post is what I got out of my vacation. It was awesome. The best part about vacation is the feeling of relaxing after working hard for a long time. After looking at the link in your post, I want to go to all of those places, even the ones I’ve already been to.