Blog Ideas

hqdefault

Well, it’s official y’all: blogging season has begun and I’ve already missed my first posting deadline. Apparently, trying to craft a detailed, penetrating blog entry while riding a greyhound with spotty WiFi and a slew of old army veterans narrating their fascinating, albeit slightly embellished, war stories only leads to abject frustration and nausea. But, without further ado, let me introduce the thought process behind my new blog, E=mcBuckets (Still deciding whether there should be a space between “mc” and “Buckets,” so feedback would be much appreciated).

There are approximately two things in this world that I love: basketball and numbers. (Okay, maybe three if I include my family, but that’s about it.) Yet, for the majority of my life, these two passions seemed to occupy separate worlds in my life. There was basketball Ishan, who’s dazzling athletic career peaked during middle school AAU, and math Ishan, who once famously proclaimed that “n/n=0” during a BC calculus exam. It really wasn’t until about ninth grade, when I discovered Nate Silver’s FiveThirtyEight blog – highly recommend checking it out – that I realized that math was intrinsically connected to my favorite sport.

Basketball is as much a cerebral, intellectual pursuit as it is an athletic one. Using robust mathematical analyses and research, we can track player trends, note team strengths/weaknesses, develop offensive and defensive strategies, and so much more. My passion blog aims to explore the applications of statistics on the hardwood and, more importantly, reveal the true story behind the numbers. That is, after all, the very purpose of advanced sports metrics – to interpret data trends not found in conventional facts and figures.

This blog will present a myriad of numerical arguments to decipher sports phenomena – some of which you may agree with, some of which you may not. Admittedly, I can be a very stubborn basketball fan, so make sure to post your thoughts in the comments section below. As my wise friend Jimmy Quinn once said, “Open, intelligent discourse relies on access to a wealth of differing and exciting viewpoints,” and through my passion blog, “I intend to put forth my own.”

One thought on “Blog Ideas

1. Hi Ishan! First, I want to say that I love the idea of talking about sports and math. I am personally a math kind of guy, much more than sports. Having the opportunity provided to myself by reading your blog and gaining a connecting perspective interests me greatly. I honestly cannot wait to learn more about how the two are interconnected, and how to interpret the different facts and statistics. As for the title, personally, I would do E=mc^Buckets since the E=mc^2 equation has the “c” squared. So I think the carrot would add a nice effect. If you don’t want to do that, I would not put a space and keep it as is.
    When I first started reading the blog post, I could tell you were expressing true passion in your topic. Your style was very inviting for the audience, and I am very excited to hear what you have to say next in your future posts. Keep up the good work!