RCL #3- It’s What I Do

InĀ It’s What I Do by Lynsey Addario, the reader is constantly hooked on the journey through Addario’s life story. There are many parts which can invoke emotions and feelings in the reader from the power of Addario’s writings. Out of all of the book one part specifically stuck out in part II as being very vivid and compelling.

On page 93 Addario talks about the invasion of Iraq. She starts off by hooking the reader with the line, “The invasion began on March 19”. This is a line that automatically gets the reader interested on what the topic is. Addario then follows up by describing the invasion with vivid imagery, stating that they “…rained cruise missiles…” on the enemy. She also describes the war from her perspective, stating that “I didn’t know the language of war.” Describing the invasion in this amount of detail while still stating her views at the time really allowed me to envision what was happening in the battle. Addario uses this writing strategy of hooking a reader in with a good topic sentence and then using vivid details and imagery to keep the reader involved.

In my passion blog, I could use this writing strategy to help enhance my blog. I should start off my paragraphs with something that would draw a reader in like a players jaw dropping stat or a interesting fact. This would keep the reader of my blog much more interested in learning more about the player and reading deeper into the blog. Also the more vivid description I can give of the football player, the more that the reader can get a mental picture of what the football player is like. Addario really uses these writing strategies perfectly and other readers and myself should implement these strategies into our writing to make our pieces better.

One thought on “RCL #3- It’s What I Do

1. Hi Nick-
    I agree, Addario uses hooks to start off her stories and imagery to make them interesting the whole way through. I think that using her techniques in your passion blog is a great idea! How are you going to use description to engage your readers about football players? Will you describe them physically, tell an engaging story about them to get readers interested in them, describe their personality, etc. Maybe the more the better! Honestly I know very little about football, but I’m interested in where your blog will go!