RCL 4- Civic Artifact Draft

Intro: Picture this, you go out to dinner one night with a few friends. You decide that you want to get a cool, refreshing soft drink. If you are like me then without opening the menu to see what actual drinks they have you will say can I have a Coke? Since the Coca-Cola Company came about in the late 19th Century, it has became one of the most iconic and most argued about brands in existence. As for myself, my parents always kept a bottle of Diet Coke in my house at all times so the company has became one that I see every single day to the point where I can totally picture the memorable and clean cursive writing of the logo.

Transition 1: Even with all the time I drank Coca-Cola products I can see the problems with there products.

#1: Problems with Coca-Cola

• Unhealthy, Cut out of healthy lifestyles
  • Has Caffeine, Not drinking at night

Transition 2: These are issues that clearly effect Coca-Cola’s products but they still succeed by selling thousands of units of product everyday.

#2: How Coca-Cola Succeeds

• Markets drinks to keep up with common trends. Ex. Diet Coke, Coke with Splenda
  • Often puts out studies saying why Coca-Cola drinks are the best

Transition 3: One of the most famous studies is of the most famous rivalry in the world of soft drinks, Coke vs Pepsi

#3: Coke vs Pepsi: A Civic Duty

• Everyone has an opinion, even though the argument is nearly pointless
  • (Show Data on how many people care)
  • People get angry and defend it

Conclusion: While the Coca-Cola company has grown into a household name that often holds a lot of negatives to its aspects of health, it has became possibly the most recognizable drink brand in history. So the next time you want a drink, remember, ask for a Coke.

One thought on “RCL 4- Civic Artifact Draft

1. Nick, I love that you’re choosing to talk about Coke! Growing up in Atlanta, I definitely have an appreciation for Coca Cola that most do not. The World of Coke is right in the city, and I can recall the countless times we have visited for class trips, when someone new came to town, or just for fun. Seeing that side of Coke and how it is created/the manufacturing process is really cool. Plus, you get to do taste tests!

The one thing I can tell you is to make sure you are focusing on the drink itself if that is your focus, and not on the entire company. However, if you are focusing on the company as a whole, make sure your topic is not too broad and that you get your points across. I think you could probably make the successions and failures one point, and spend more time highlighting what makes this drink civic. I am excited to see how you present! I love Coke, it reminds me of home!!

(P.S., I loved your pitch and the delivery)