RCL #7- It’s What I Do

In a way, war is emotionless. When you see war, you see uniforms, formations, weapons, blood, and above all, horror. While this aspect of war is somewhat emotionless, its the people it impacts that truly demonstrates the horror and devastation of  war.

Moving forward, I would like to capture emotion, the way Addario has done to get her point accross. Images speak more strongly than words and instead of struggling to explain something unexplainable, I should simply show it.

Bibiane, a twenty-eight year old woman from South Kivu is depicted with tears streaming down her face. Her face, filled with pain and loneliness, expressed by the creases on the side of her nose and mouth, tell us that she can never go back to what she had experienced in that forest. What struck me about this image, is the way it made me feel. While Bibiane may be crying, her sorrow is that of strength and her strength resonates very strongly with me. What also struck me about this image, is how closely it resembled Addario’s sorrow in that it was almost as if Bibiane had been a mirror image of Addario crying in that moment (148).

Mapedo, a twenty-two year old young lady from Burhale, lies weak and shivering. She is so young yet she has suffered and endured what no one should have to ever experience. What is difficult to swallow when looking at this image his how innocent and vulnerable she is. How is it possible for such evil to occur to such a sweet girl? When looking into her eyes, her desperation for survival, makes us question why such things exist in this world (149).

What is powerful most powerful about the images Addario has taken of these women is her ability to capture their strength despite their pain and suffering. As a mentioned earlier, capturing war is not about the battle scene, but about its victims. Its about those who do not get to pick their battle rather whose battle is chosen for them.