RCL #9- This I Believe

Noelia Ortiz-Landazabal

Professor Hamilton

This I Believe

February 2, 2018

This I believe in the Power of Sisterhood

I roll out of bed, throw on my paint-splattered kilt, and hop in my car. My hair disheveled—half flat, half poofy–, I turn off my morning jam, blasting of course, as I step out of my car. Starbucks in hand, I prance through the warm halls of my dear old Notre Dame. Even though it’s early on a Monday morning, there’s always a smiling face on campus or even a dance party to be had in the coffee scented senior lounge.

There were no locks on our lockers, no detentions, no demerits, no alcohol, no drugs, no drama. Just 93 crazy young women embracing who they are and having a good time. This was my high school experience: one where my classmates were my sisters and my teachers, my best friends. I believe in the power of sisterhood.

On my first day of school freshman year, I was told that my days at the happiest place on earth would fly by, and they did. Sitting on the Mansion patio at graduation, I came to realize how my all girls’ education had shaped me to be a strong, independent, educated, and compassionate young lady. Growing up in an environment where I was never denied an opportunity, rather encouraged to pursue things I didn’t think or know I was capable of achieving, has empowered me to strive for what seems like the impossible because I am was always told that I was just as capable.

But what is special about this sisterhood that I became a part of my freshman year of high school, is that we each supported each other: athletes, dancers, artists, mathematicians, and robotics athletes. No matter how big or how small the accomplishment or the passion, we were all supportive of each other. As Mrs. Turner told my AP Comparative Government class my senior year, “now that you have been given the tools to achieve greatness, go out into the world and use those talents and skills to help others.” Service was one of the strongest bonds we had as a sisterhood. Whether it’s dressing up in denim to raise money for breast cancer, collecting feminine products for girls to continue their education, or volunteering at immigrant schools in Philadelphia, we chose to help others not because we were told to do so but because we wanted to empower others, just as we had been empowered.

I am who I am because of the love and empowerment I felt with my sisters. I am not afraid to be who I want to be or strive for things that I’m told are too difficult to achieve. I am more confident than ever, stronger than ever, yet I feel more kind and wiser than ever before. The power of the sisterhood is one that I will always carry with me, because as my favorite saying goes, ‘empowered women, empower women.’