The good, the bad, and the ugly.

The good, the bad, and the ugly. Not only is this the title of a 1966 Western film starring Clint Eastwood (check it out if you haven’t) but it also sums up my speech experience-as both a speaker and listener. Considering the amount of speeches that I have given, and the amount that I’ve heard, it’s only natural for there to be a mix of experiences. Without further ado, it’s time to get to the good, the bad, and the ugly of my speech experiences.

The Good: The number one pro from my personal speaking experience, is well, the experience I gained. The first speech that I ever had to give was in 6th grade. I stood in front of my peers, frighteningly confident, prepared to delve into my first experience speaking in front of a large group of people. After I delivered the speech of why people should vote for me as DA, I realized that this would be the first of many speeches. Since that day, I’ve delivered speeches on everything from how to do a certain magic trick to why the American school system is failing. Watching other’s give speeches has proved to be beneficial as well. Whether the speech was good or bad, I learned lessons. If it was good, I used parts of those in my speeches. If it was bad, I knew what not to do.

The bad: One thing I never picked up on while speaking is my bad habits. I’m sure I do some pretty big no’s while speaking, but I haven’t picked up on them. I have filmed myself giving a speech, but I couldn’t identify and correct the bad things that I do. I’ve always given speeches to friendly, attentive audiences, so if I ever gave a speech to slightly hostile audience, that’d be a new thing for me.

The ugly: The ugliest con of my speaking experience would be the awkwardness that comes with a below average speech. I don’t believe I’ve ever given one, but I have been in rooms in which these speeches were given. The cold, dry air in the room gives me the chills.

Through my speaking and listening experience, I have been through the good, the bad, and the ugly. I’m sure the same goes for all of you. I just hope the good outweighs the bad and the ugly.

One thought on “The good, the bad, and the ugly.”

1. I think you’ll get a perspective of what you need to improve on in this class. No matter how great a speaker is, there are always things to improve on. I agree with how terrible it is to be in a room with a student who has given a below-average speech. In high school, there were students who did not practice or put much thought into their speeches. We would all clap nonetheless, but everyone, including the speaker, knew he/she wasn’t prepared. This post was very artistic. Good job!