Technology to look forward to in 2015

Each year, we come closer to that futuristic image you see in television shows of holograms and flying cars. Although we aren’t quite there, it doesn’t mean this won’t be an exciting year for devices. Every year, one or two devices come out that revolutionize the technology year. This year will be no different. There are a few items that we could look back on in ten or fifteen years and remember how amazing it was when it was released.

Although 4k television was a big hit in the past year, people are already looking forward to 8k televisions. 8k resolution is the highest ultra high definition television (UHDTV) resolution to exist in digital television and digital cinematography. 8K refers to the horizontal resolution of these formats, which all are on the order of 8,000 pixels, forming the total image dimensions (7680×4320). The current mainstream HD TV standard is 1080p. The HD tv you have at home has a resolution of 1920×1080. We have hit the possibility of jumping from 1920×1080 to 7680×4320 just like that. The visuals that the TV would have to offer would be absolutely mind blowing. Everything would look so real.  Samsung and LG will be releasing 8K televisions at some point this year. Samsung’s will be sized at 110 inches and will come in the possibility to view in 3D without glasses. LG will be at 98 inches.

Just like Apple released its own TV, Android companies will be doing the same. It will run on the current Android 5.0 “Lollipop” operating system.  Android TV can be built into both TVs and stand-alone digital media players. Users have access to the Google Play Store to download Android apps, including media streaming services Netflix and Hulu. It will also be capable of downloading games well as games. The platform emphasizes voice search to quickly find content or answer queries . The TV interface is divided vertically into three sections: recommendations on top (which update based on viewing habits), media apps in the middle, and games on the bottom. The interface can be navigated using a game controller, remote control, or the Android TV mobile app.

My favorite piece of technology coming out this year, if it works correctly, is the connected car. A connected car is a car that is equipped with Internet access, and usually also with a wireless local area network. This allows the car to share internet access to other devices both inside as outside the vehicle. Often, the car is also outfitted with special technologies that tap into the internet access or wireless LAN and provide additional benefits to the driver (automatic notification of crashes, notification of speeding and safety alerts). Both Apple and Google are creating operating systems that can be used with these cars. Of course they will be filled with flaws as first edition operating systems, but they’re going to be revolutionary.

Between these three items, Windows 10, a new iPad, a new Galaxy, the advancement in 2-in-1 laptops, and many other items, this year for technology is going to be one of the best. It’s going to be exciting to sit back and see how things turn out.

2 thoughts on “Technology to look forward to in 2015”

1. I really don’t know much about tvs, so hearing about the 4k and 8k ones in your post really taught me lot. The sounds crazy though, I’m sure those things must cost a ton. And the connected cars sound sooo cool. I can’t wait to see that become a reality in our society, because I’m sure it will be able to improve the efficiency of individuals in many ways.

2. I had never heard of a 4k television before reading this blog post. However, i did know about the new iPad because I’m in love with the one i have now, so i like to keep up on new advances with the product. Is the connected car kind of like the Buick with wifi? They sound super cool, but i bet they’re ridiculously pricy.