RCL HW # 4

Throughout high school, I never really minded public speaking. I enjoyed the entire process: writing the speech, practicing delivery, brainstorming ways to make it stand out. The whole thing was fun for me. I’d like to say that the enjoyment lasts throughout the process, but there is always that moment waiting to present, that my stomach starts flipping and I feel the nerves coming on.

This last presentation was no exception. I was fine throughout the writing process; I was getting excited over different part that I wanted to touch on and I had a lot of ideas for presenting. When I got to class, I knew I was ready. But, of course, the few minutes before it was my turn were full of nerves.

Looking back on the presentation, there were definitely a few things that I would like to have changed, but I think that overall it was a success. I thought my visual aids were effective and I felt that my delivery was good, but could always use some more rehearsal.

Overall I think that I was able to get my message across to the audience, however, I think I slightly misunderstood the purpose of the assignment. The way I was looking at it, I was supposed to identify the rhetorical devices and use them to explain how it encouraged civic engagement. If I were to do it again, I would focus more on the civicness of the artifact and then connect it to the rhetoric.

Even though my main goal was a little off, I still think that I was able to convey the civicness that the video was encouraging. Next time I would probably clarify that, so I could structure my presentation the way it was supposed to be.

Speak Your Mind