What’s up with Pizza?

pizzaslice

I’m new to this whole college thing. I’ve only been her for a few months, and I’m still getting used to everything that comes along with college life. As a freshman, I’ve learned not to wear my lanyard around my neck and how to ride the data busses. But the one thing I still don’t get it the obsession with pizza.

And I’m not just talking about pizza in any situation. No, college students wouldn’t be spending their own money ordering a pizza. But a good majority of the signs I see advertising club meetings end with, “Free Pizza”.

I wouldn’t have thought that offering a free slice would influence people that much, that they would alter their daily schedule and go to a meeting that they wouldn’t have gone to otherwise. To my surprise, I’ve heard quite a few people talking about these “Free Pizza Meetings” and more than I would have thought say things like, “Yeah, I only went for the free pizza,” or “I wasn’t going to go but there’s going to be free food.”

Are college kids really that desperate for free food, that they’d go to an entire meeting just for the snack at the end? Personally, I don’t see the draw. Granted, I am gluten free, and wouldn’t be able to eat the pizza anyway. But I have too much going on to flock to an event just to get the pizza at the end.

At first glance, offering free pizza seems like a feeble attempt at the end of these flyers trying to convinceĀ people that this meeting is worth coming to. Doesn’t seem like it would be very effective. And maybe there are other people who agree with me. But from what I’ve heard, it’s influenced quite a few people more than I would have expected.

Comments

1. Nicole Humza says:

I love this post! I like how you connected pizza posters to this class.
    I was actually recently thinking about the pizza obsession. Personally the whole pizza thing dissuades me from going to meetings. I don’t like fighting swarms of people for greasy, lukewarm pizza that people have already touched. Plus, pizza as an incentive attracts the wrong kinds of crowds. Do clubs really want people who just come for the food?

Speak Your Mind