Paradigm Shift Map: Academic Inflation

I decided to do my paradigm shift on academic inflation, which is the phenomenon by which too many people are being educated. Some implications of academic inflation are that a bachelor’s degree is no longer enough to get a job and that people must stay longer in academia to pursue higher degrees. Occupations that once required a high school diploma forty years ago now require a masters or a PH.D., which I thought was an interesting shift to observe.
Let me know what you think!

RCL Paradigm Shift Flowchart

3 responses to “Paradigm Shift Map: Academic Inflation

1. Jimmy Frisbie

I totally agree when it comes to the price of rising education. I believe it needs to be fixed. I also think it is important to point out that college is not for everyone. There are still plenty of jobs that require technical training instead of a college degree. However, I believe a lot of people are not aware of this. In our county in Virginia, there is a Vo-Tech school that allows people to graduate with technical degrees by the time they finish high school so they can go into the workforce. However, for almost all sciences and liberal arts, college is completely necessary.

2. Mikaela Hermstedt

I think you have a great topic talking about the cost of education. The cost of a college degree has gone up a lot even since my parents attended. Colleges are able to charge more for education because more and more people are feeling like they have to attend. I think the part about competing with your peers is very interesting. People feel that they have to be the best and that means they should have a good solid college degree. One thing that stuck out to me is the part that talks about needing more than a four year degree for certain jobs. While this is true, especially for certain career areas, it is not true for all of them. It is not unheard of for people to go and work for the government and earn $100,000 a year with just a four-year degree. Sure they had to work up to that point and that wasn’t their salary right after college, but it is like that for a lot of jobs. Maybe specify a certain career area that you are talking about so this becomes more clear.

3. Katie Czekalski

We all know the cost of education here. I’m pretty sure every college student will be able to related to you in this class. But I think it is interesting that you are focusing on the increasing number of people who get higher level degrees. I would agree with one of the parts of your map, when you say that people end up paying just to stay in academia. I think too many people don’t try and go out to get jobs when they could just stay in the comfort on a liberal, educational environment. Good job!