(500) Days of Summer Review: Not a Love Story

In the spirit of Valentine’s Day last weekend, this week’s review will be on (500) Days of Summer, because romantic comedies are what Valentine’s Day (if you bring up The Notebook I might flip). While I didn’t have a Valentine to share it with, I watched it with some of good friends (which I guess equals out?) Anyways, I was actually impressed by the movie and could actually recommend it to guys without feeling weird (probably a little judgment towards me, but I’ll get over it.)

500 Days of Summer Poster(500) Days of Summer follows Tom (Joseph Gordon-Levitt), a greeting card writer that previously studied to be an architect, as he pursues a romance with Summer (Zooey Deschanel), the new assistant to his boss. Tom is attracted to Summer and develops a crush, but he conceals his feelings for her to avoid embarrassment. After the office decides to have a company karaoke night at the local bar, Tom’s coworker drunkenly tells Summer about Tom’s feelings for her, which catches her off guard. However, she begins to become fond of Tom, and the two begin a relationship. While Tom begins to fall deeply for her, Summer only enjoys his company, not wanting a boyfriend and not believing in true love.

While the two are intimate and continue to maintain a steady relationship, Summer gradually loses interest in Tom, leaving him feeling empty. Summer officially ends the relationship after the two watch The Graduate, which Summer is emotionally moved while Tom is unaffected by the outcome of the movie. Although Tom doesn’t care for the movie, the breakup lands him in a deep depression, costing him his position at work and affecting his social life. Tom and Summer meet months later at a wedding for a coworker, and their connection appears to resume, leaving Tom optimistic that he and Summer can work out their differences and become intimate again.

500 Days Of SummerI don’t want to reveal too much more, as I believe it will ruin the rest of the movie for you guys. On the other hand, the quote by the narrator at the beginning of the movie saying this is “not a love story” should be remembered.

The movie is presented in a nonlinear format, with the first scene of the movie being Tom’s response to the breakup. While the audience already can tell how the movie will go, I think that it works for the film, as we are able to work from the start and see how Summer has slowly affected his life. The repetition of certain images throughout the film emphasizes how Tom views Summer as perfect, even if she has different ideas about their relationship. I also liked the fact that every day of the 500 days was presented to the audience before the scene begins, giving us an idea of what stage of the relationship we are viewing.

I thought the performances added to the quality of the movie, making it more relatable and emotional than a typical romantic comedy. Tom’s lovestruck personality mirrors anyone who has deep feelings for a certain person, only to have them crushed. Deschanel plays Summer with great energy and spirit, disregarding the social norms for women and wanting to pursue her own life. The two on screen seem perfect for each other, having great chemistry throughout even if their relationship hits rough patches. The movie is not a typical romantic comedy, but it strikes a chord with those that have experienced the highs and lows of romance.

500 Days of Summer 2Overall, I thought (500) Days of Summer was a break from the romantic comedy mold, infusing it with more energy and relevance to real life than the melodramatic and unrealistic expectations that accompany certain romantic comedies. The movie sets the standard for a new breed of films to come, and will be remembered by this generation as our great romantic comedy. I give it 4 out of 5 stars.

Images by Fox Searchlight

4 thoughts on “(500) Days of Summer Review: Not a Love Story

1. I LOVE 500 DAYS OF SUMMER JUST TOSSING THIS OUT HERE
    sorry Matt Becker

I have always just had sort of a problem with the romantic film/book industry, because it portrays story lines that are awfully unrealistic and churns out a far too optimistic crowd of sappy romantics. Perhaps I’m biased, for I am not a huge believer in concepts like true love and soul mates and all that, but I think it’s awesome – though, of course, heart wrenching for the Matt Beckers of the world – when Hollywood sends us a curveball. I hope you all had a lovely Valentine’s Day together! Isn’t it ironic that you all were watching this while we were watching Fifty Shades?

anyway love live Summer!! bye joe warner

2. I have never heard of this movie, and honestly, will likely never watch it. I’m just not into any sort of the romances, be it a romantic comedy, drama, or whatever, I’m just not watching it. However, I do have a lot of respect for the fact that you, being an unbiased blogger, took the time to review one of these movies for your blog. I think it’s important to show variety, and you have certainly done that. If I may make some recommendations for one of your future blogs, The Hurt Locker and Green Zone are two great movies about the war in Middle East (if you’re into that).

3. Dude. As much as I appreciate what you’re saying with the “not a love story,” mantra, your review sounds just like a sappy rom-com!! However, I’ll do my best to take your word for it. With regard to your specific post this week, I still liked that you evaluated the acting, not just the overall movie. It’s reassuring to know that some people still value good acting. I actually had to watch The Notebook for an English paper in high school, and let me assure you, there was no such acting in that film. Thanks for the review!

4. Considering I was forced into watching The Notebook by my friends on Friday (I have no words for that movie, none) I can appreciate a romantic comedy that has some actual substance to it. It seems here that this story better portrays what love and loss is actually like rather than the unrealistic view presented within The Notebook. I have never seen this movie, but perhaps when I find my own Valentine we will sit down and watch this movie together. Also I love Joseph Gordon-Levitt so I may just watch it anyway.