Paradigm Shift Ideas

A paradigm shift describes the fundamental change in an individual’s or societal’s view of how something works in the world. However simple this definition seems, the concept of a paradigm shift can be quite complex. In addition to it just being a fundamental change that has evolved in meaning, a paradigm shift also incorporates intricate details of futurology, methodology, epistemology, and even values and ethics. All of these components help to broaden the topic of a paradigm shift through internal analysis by asking questions like where is the topic headed, who decided what was true or false, and or how does this topic form our view. The additional pieces, as a result, make it difficult for me to come up with an idea for the paradigm shift paper. Although I do have a few in mind, it is still a work in progress.

My first idea is the topic of terrorism. More specifically, the shift of view on terrorism throughout the years and how nowadays even Syrian refugees fleeing absolute destruction and disarray are seen as potential security threats. In my paper, I hope to explore some of the contextual explanations as to why many American citizens feel so threatened by terrorism and how their fears reflect on their attitudes towards others. I noticed that Penn State has a lot of political science classes on international relations and even a class on the politics of terrorism, so I thought as a part of my research for this topic I could contact the professors of these classes and get their professional opinions on why they think there has been a shift in terrorism. As well as, how they have seen this shift manifest itself in politics like with treaties, policies, etc.

My second idea is on the shift of sex and promiscuity in American society. Specifically focusing on how the openness of sex has also led to the openness of sexual orientation and sexual identity. In my paper, I was going to discuss how the sexual revolution back in the 1960s is still having an effect on today’s society and attitudes. I will admit, this topic isn’t nearly as developed and structured as the first, which is why I am leaning more towards terrorism, but I still feel like this could be an interesting paper to write. Like I said, everything is still a work in progress!