This I believe draft

for my this i believe draft i am going to continue to write about work ethic and how i came to find mine.

Growing up I always felt off and different than most teenagers; I envied others who enjoyed their summers relaxing by the pool or playing a pickup game in the park compared to my summer vacations of working from sunrise to sunset. My family members were raised to earn your keep, in essence, we had to work for everything we wanted. My first job consisted of carrying golf bags in the summer sun and weekends till the golf course closed for winter meanwhile learning the value of manners and grit. After 3 seasons of caddying I hung up the golf shoes for work boots and began working for my families construction business. From that point on all summer break and time that I wasn’t in school I was learning the ways of the construction world while building my savings fund. Working with your hands is not always a fun life but can be very rewarding to look at the finished picture and be able to say, “I built that.”

It became apparent that others noticed my work ethic this past winter break when one of my coworkers stopped me and asked me if I could train his son. Baffled by this question I had to ask for his reasoning and he told me that he had noticed how hard I was working the day before and was envious his son didn’t have the same drive. Having a work ethic is something to look for in a person, a person who is motivated and has a fire in their chest with everything they do.

I believe that a person should be judged at the end of the day after the work is done rather than the first impression. I also believe that someone can be read by their body language and how they poise themselves. An individual that shows up to work right at 7am unprepared for the day and shows no drive for their work is not a hardworking individual. On the other hand say a different individual shows up at 6:30am every morning with their head screwed on ready to go is someone that is willing to work sun up to sundown. I know not everyone works long hour shifts in the trade industry but since that is my background and my future, it is something I believe work ethic should entail.

I believe that I can credit this to my parents for disciplining me that hard work should not equate to an incentive and it should be the standard. I also believe that many people today do not have this work ethic and have a good enough attitude. This attitude that has started from participation awards and how children were just given a trophy instead of earning it. This connects to many people today not having a strong work ethic since so many have felt the same satisfaction as those who earned the trophy, but rather were just handed one for a below average effort.