Applying OER to Design

What does OER mean to me as an Instructional Designer (ID)? Pretty much everything. I frequently say to my colleagues, “we’re better in numbers”. By the end of the first week of Introduction to Open Education edX MOOC, I feel that I may have found my tribe who embodies that concept. I love communities of practice and actively seek ways to create and support relationships in design. I feel like OER has connected my beliefs on sharing, communicating, using crowdsourcing to improve and critique designs and technology, developing relationships, creating creative resources and ensuring licence compliance.

As an instructional designer, I’m constantly creating, utilizing, and citing media resources to embed in online learning spaces. These online courses are never complete because content is constantly evolving. If education is knowledge transfer, or fundamentally education is sharing, then (as an ID) I’m in a unique position to help deliver the expertise of the course author/SME into an engaging and meaningful design for students to contribute to the field. If design is an iterative process, then collaborating and receiving critique from peers is one way that design could enter the world of OER. In addition, I actively consult faculty on technologies, media and resources to embed in online courses. Once we determine course materials and resources, I¬†work through the copyright, commons and public domain process to determine how to share resources in a course. It can be quite an arduous (and long) process!

I enjoyed the first week of the course and appreciated the large scope to cover all types of education resources (ie. curriculum, pedagogy, code, technology tools, etc.) and not just textbooks. As someone who likes to take knowledge and put it into practice, I’m actively designing a course that will only use OER. Can’t wait to share!

One thought on “Applying OER to Design

1. My first real work with OER was as an instructional designer. It is an important evangelical position on campus. There are so many things that IDs can bring to campus – OER, Universal Design, and alternative assessments. I found that one of my most important jobs as an instructional designer was talking to people and building relationships. It takes a lot of trust for folks to want to hear about change. Great post!